PDA

View Full Version : Mud flaps to you!

phippster
12-01-2008, 06:30 PM
Why do so few Mk 5 Golfs have mud flaps fitted?
Surely they are essential if you want to keep that 'straight out of the showroom finish'?
Any considered opinions from Golf owners?

"and donīt call me Shirley."

Ben
12-01-2008, 08:04 PM
i think it is one of those options that get you to spend more when you buy the car, like mats and boot liners.

phippster
13-01-2008, 12:33 PM
On previous Golf versions mud flaps and speed bumps have proved to be incompatible especially on sportier Golfs.
Is this the case for the Golf Mk 5?
Has anyone got mudflaps fitted to their Mk 5?
Do they catch on speed bumps?

Wazza_G
13-01-2008, 01:40 PM
The reason I don't have them on this car is because where I park they set the height of the kerbing at just the right height for them (flaps) to pass over the top of the kerbing and then rip them right off as you drive away! :aargh4::zx11:

carnaige
03-04-2008, 08:06 PM
HI

I'm considering getting the dealers to add some mud flaps to my new GT Sport (3 dr) when it finally turns up.

Haven't seen a model yet with them to decide whether thay they good and finish the look off nicely. What do people think?

Cheers

Ben
03-04-2008, 08:20 PM
it depends if you have the lower rear skirt colour coded. Mine is silver, so i think black mudflaps may look odd.

should be ok on the front though.

carnaige
03-04-2008, 11:45 PM
I'm getting the pearl black colour... so it would be black mud flaps to compliment.. I guess it all boils down to personal preference at the end of the day... i'll just have to pay extra attention to rear of Golfs on the way to work tomorrow!!!

wez99
04-04-2008, 03:50 PM
Phippster,
I've a GT Sport & had the flaps fitted, it was several days after picking up the car that I noticed them. So they are not intrusive and obviously protect the bodywork. I would recomend them.

adstalker
04-04-2008, 06:20 PM
Phippster,
I've a GT Sport & had the flaps fitted, it was several days after picking up the car that I noticed them. So they are not intrusive and obviously protect the bodywork. I would recomend them.

Do you have any photographs of the car with them on?

wez99
04-04-2008, 07:26 PM
I'll have a go tomorrow. Is it easy to post pics on here?

peak_46
04-04-2008, 09:21 PM
I had mud flaps fitted to my new Match and you don't really notice them. They do a good job though as I seem to be avoiding getting to much stuff caked around the underside and sill.

I'd love to know how much it costs to get the rear plastic section of the bumper colour coded as the staeler I bought it from want Ģ500. Said the original would have to be replaced with a primed version and then obviously sprayed to match. Any cheaper solutions would be much appreciated.

And yes the mud flaps were free!!

Ben
04-04-2008, 10:09 PM
I'd love to know how much it costs to get the rear plastic section of the bumper colour coded as the staeler I bought it from want £500. Said the original would have to be replaced with a primed version and then obviously sprayed to match. Any cheaper solutions would be much appreciated.
!!

not wanting to go too far off topic. I bought a new lower skirt from the dealers, not primed, standard mottled black plastic, expect change from £50.

Took it to a local spray shop in the car, he looked, noted the paint code, and i left it with him. two days later and £75 cash;) later, one matching lower skirt.

I didn't bother with a primed one, nor did i have the mottled one smoothed over. I just had it painted as is.

Get it home and swap the skirts over your self.

If you want to do it cheaper and can be without the car for a couple of days, get the one on the car sprayed.

wez99
05-04-2008, 12:54 PM
I'm no photographer, but this may help: Hope so, just taken me 30 mins to sort out.

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x295/wez99/DSCN0277-1.jpg

lambic
06-04-2008, 05:59 PM
Hi,

I've been thinking of getting a set of flaps, front & back. Are they easy to fit yourself?

Cheers!

Jimp45
06-04-2008, 06:08 PM
There's a silver Golf near me that has mudflaps fitted and they are sprayed the same silver as the car, it looks really nice. I'll get a photo and post it when I can.

Ben
06-04-2008, 06:16 PM
Hi,

I've been thinking of getting a set of flaps, front & back. Are they easy to fit yourself?

Cheers!

easy peasy, they'll hold on with a couple of torx screws that are already on the car.

Ben
06-04-2008, 06:17 PM
There's a silver Golf near me that has mudflaps fitted and they are sprayed the same silver as the car, it looks really nice. I'll get a photo and post it when I can.

I'd be interested in that photo.