PDA

View Full Version : Need help troubleshooting problems

layerz
12-01-2008, 06:29 PM
OK guys I am gona start a dedicated thread to this as I want to pinpoint some issues and this may help others in the future.

Right now I have 3 issues.

- Turbo not boosting properly causing black smoke

- Oil leak

- Coolant leak

I want to go through each to try and resolve them and I think I am part way there in 2 issues.

On the tubro I will run vagcom and reset all codes tomorrow, I will also remove all piping and check for them being airtight/no cracks tomorrow.

Oil leak I was told could be the sump gasket blew when the head gasket went and the engine over heated, could this be right?

The coolant leak I think I located if you look at the pics below I need help with a part no. and process to replace but want peoples opinion.

It is the bit of piping near the no.3 injector that is hard to take a photo off as it it a bit hiddent away but it is like a T type piece and I did my best to show it.
Any idea of the part no.? And also how do I remove/replace the part as it apears to be hard to get to.

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c184/layerz/audi/pointoverview.jpg

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c184/layerz/audi/pointleak2.jpg

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c184/layerz/audi/pointleak.jpg

Thanks in advance, Lewis

passat>sport
13-01-2008, 12:38 PM
Coolent temp sensor, part number I think is 078919501b.

I Don't know for certain about the injectors (but I think so) and will post it here so others can see and chime in if I have missed something.

The engine code IZ is a 90 bhp 66kw engine, your afn is 110bhp and 81kw.

But, They both have the same part number (0432 192 838)

nozzle opening pressure: Bar 190-200/170 is listed for both IZ and afn engine codes. and newer audi vw has a code of 0 432 193 799 and again with the last digit 801, but all have the same opening pressures and bosch.

But remember the IZ engine is pre 94 and your engine is a little newer, so the needle lift sensor plug may be different. Get him to send you a pic of it, and make sure your injectors look exactly the same.

layerz
13-01-2008, 01:15 PM
Hmm so that 3 way t pipe is a coolant sensor? Odd that that is split then....hopefully I can get the part from VW rather then audi.

And as for the injector I will need to swap over my .216 nozzle. I am waiting for am email back from the seller and I am 98% sure that the physical injectors look the same.
Infact if you look at the auction again I might be able to nick the coolant sensor off him also as the engine looks incredibly similar to mine! (Ebay item no150203118356)

passat>sport
13-01-2008, 01:42 PM
Hmm so that 3 way t pipe is a coolant sensor

The blue thing is the sensor, the t is just the housing.

layerz
13-01-2008, 01:43 PM
Ahh ok, it is the housing that I think is shot and is leaking. The temp sensor seems to be working alright.
Any chance you know the part no. for the housing?

layerz
13-01-2008, 02:31 PM
Just putting everything in here to show how (I hope) the problems have come to be resolved.

Just taken off the intercooler pipes and they all seem fine. But the one that connects from the air box looks very old and it was covered in thick sludge but it appears to be screwed on tight.
Think I might take this one off to inspect it.

The braided hoses do need replacing but they seem to be fit for purpose but I will replace them anyway.

I am just about to hook vag com up and clear the codes and get something more concrete on a sensor/valve front.

OK I cleared the codes and took the car for a blast and ran them again and here is the new results:

VAG-COM Version: Release 409.1-US

Chassis Type: 8D - Audi A4 B5
Scan: 01,02,03,08,15,17,25,35,45,55,56

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Address 01: Engine
Controller: 038 906 018 S
Component: 1,9l R4 EDC 50SG 1621
Coding: 00002
Shop #: WSC 06335
1 Fault Found:
00575 - Intake Manifold Pressure
17-00 - Control Difference
Readiness: N/A

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Address 03: ABS Brakes
Controller: 8E0 614 111 AB
Component: ABS 5.3 FRONT D00
Coding: 0273004281
Shop #: BB 24548
No fault code found.

layerz
13-01-2008, 03:21 PM
Fixed the boost problem :D You wont or will believe what it was I will get pics up later.

Next up is that O ring on the water coolant sensor, and the oil sump.

passat>sport
13-01-2008, 03:24 PM
Something connected wrong i bet.

layerz
13-01-2008, 06:18 PM
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c184/layerz/audi/culpritpipe.jpg

Connected over the IC piping in this pic just to illustrate but shown underneath now, and will be replacing all the braided hoses and thinking about silicon replacements for the std pipes as I mentioned earlier.
(new thread for upgraded parts thou)

I took the car out but I am not so sure it feels like 155bhp that is was before the head gasket went, I wonder how much crap is in the system and if this is restricting the gas flows?
Also I will replace the air filter and prolly give it a fuel treatment / bp ultimate diesel.

Need to get a replacement oring and would be great if someone had a part no.

passat>sport
13-01-2008, 06:33 PM
Well from starting off needing a turbo (or so you thought) You've just saved yourself a whole heap of cash.

Bet your glad you percivered and didn't buy a new engine like you said.

If you go into your local car parts shop, they will have part numbers listed in there books.

layerz
13-01-2008, 06:39 PM
I bloody am, I thought that the engine was still loosing coolant and I couldn't find it at first and with the turbo issue I presumed the worst.

Can I expect things to loosen up a bit?

layerz
16-01-2008, 07:52 PM
OK just to coment yes things did/have loosended up and I presume will continue to do so but I will aid that.
I am going to remove the egr and clean that and the same for the intake manifold. As I suspect these are kaked up.
I have adjusted the idle fueling and prolly need to do the hammer mod to get the fueling right to reduce smoke for the mot.

The coolant leak was not an oring but infact the pipe that goes down from the T type pipe and I need to replace that asap. Gona get the part tomorrow lunch if poss.

The oil leak seems to be the oil return line from the turbo. Damned hoses and pipes they are all shot by 140k and 10 years.......................grumble.