PDA

View Full Version : Which A4?

parapaul
12-01-2008, 07:10 AM
Hi all :)

Just wondering if anyone could shed any light on this quandrary? When I eventually get my new A4 Avant (why they couldn't just call it an estate like everyone else is beyond me :D) which model should I choose?

I love the looks of the S Line, and would much prefer the uprated suspension and seats etc. However, from previous experience I know that the sports option isn't always the best way to go because they often have lower interior specs etc. Would I be better off (money wise or in terms of driveability) to go for an SE and modify it myself?

I know the engines are the same, but how many other differences are there betweeen the SE and S Line?

Thanks in advance :)

parapaul
19-01-2008, 12:29 AM
Anyone?

JohnH
20-01-2008, 12:25 AM
I went through the same decision process, the S-Line special edition has a decent spec but misses cruise control, with hindsight not sure why I didn't pick this.

I considered the S-line 'standard' to be too low spec, missing cruise, trip computer, and rear electric windows too - stuff which is standard on a £12K Skoda.

I went for the SE which had standard Bose and 17" wheels at the time, it doesn't look as good and the sports suspension might have been nice but at least it has cruise, computer and electric windows ! I was annoyed at having to pay extra for decent interior lights, a front armrest and auto-dimming mirror - once again, all standard on a £14K Golf and were once standard on an A4 SE too....

On the engine front, I cannot recommend the TDi 170, mine is unrefined and has poor fuel economy - roll on the new common rail version.

parapaul
27-01-2008, 02:43 AM
Thanks for that, that's exactly the sort of reply I was looking for.

As I said, I'm quite happy to modify a non-sports model - for the price difference between the SE and S Line I could easily lower it and probably have it remapped too.

It's a shame that the further you go up the perceived pecking order of manufacturers, the less they feel obliged to give you as standard.