PDA

View Full Version : Bio Diesel. Why is it banned from use in a Golf?

Wazza_G
12-01-2008, 12:30 AM
Can someone explain why we're not allowed to use Bio-diesel in our Golf's?

What would happen if we did accidentally fill up with the stuff & would it cause significant or irreparable damage to the engine or any part of it?

Many Thanks.

Wazza

disco71
12-01-2008, 10:06 PM
I use bio and SVO in my twin tank system in my weekend plaything Discovery 300TDI.I think that Bio melts rubber seals.Also what make of injector pump are you using ?
I might add I drive a mk3 Golf during the week !

michaeld
13-01-2008, 02:15 AM
Why do you say it's banned?

I think you'll need to modify your car or change the timing slightly but I wouldn't think it's banned.

Do VAG approve it if 5% or less?

Wazza_G
13-01-2008, 08:36 AM
It says NO Bio-diesel & I was told that by the dealer.

I don't know why, I just need to know why & what the consequences are if you were to use it, other than one void warranty! :confused: :mad:

RichieG
14-01-2008, 02:23 PM
Not sure, but I think I've read that it has lower lubricity than normal diesel and will damage internal engine seals, and also causes problems with the particulate filter.

Isoproturon
14-01-2008, 05:28 PM
Most if not all diesel on the forecourts here is a 5% blend anyway.

Scalipered
30-01-2008, 09:35 PM
Does it does melt seals? My BAD experience of Bio diesel...:1zhelp:

My Boss operates HGV's and he has dabbled with Bio fuel. It has now totalled 3x truck injector pumps over the past year. Seals fail in the injectors, the combustion gasses find their way back into the injection pump and under this extreme pressure cause irrevocable damage to the pump.

My Mondeo 1.8 TD suffered when the pump drive shaft seal went all soft and tacky and subsequently failed resulting in massive fuel loss, and tow in...:zx11:

I had also used it in a Peugeot 306TDi, it too failed as a result of the fuel, which was now apparently growing like an algae in the fuel tank and in filter housing restricting the free flow of fuel to the engine, yet another tow in...:aargh4:

My advice.... DON'T USE IT

Wazza_G
30-01-2008, 11:48 PM
Thanks, I'll give it a miss.

gtr mart
05-04-2008, 12:23 AM
I ran veg oil in a 406 diesel without probs and that pretty similar to bio fuel.

Did loads of miles without a prob. What was said above about lower lubricity is correct though and can contribute towards injection pump failures.

I kind of thought that VW were either just guarding themselves as this fuel is more common nowadays, or possibly that it shouldnt be run with a DPF filter. Not sure if your talking about a car that does or does not have a PF though

Steve_SDi
08-09-2008, 06:04 PM
Can someone explain why we're not allowed to use Bio-diesel in our Golf's?

What would happen if we did accidentally fill up with the stuff & would it cause significant or irreparable damage to the engine or any part of it?

Many Thanks.

Wazza

hi, im sure you can specify as an option when the car is built new, if you want it to run on Bio Diesel, it says something about it in the manual, its one of the option codes
but unless you specifically want it to be set for Bio its not

Steve