PDA

View Full Version : sump on 98 tdi

mr_c
11-01-2008, 09:35 PM
I need to remove the sump on my 98 tdi passat, just wondering do i need to take the full engine out or can it be taken out by itself?

stonedagain
12-01-2008, 02:34 PM
It can be done with the engine in place, but it's a pig of a job. The front bomper has to come off, the whole front panel with radiator have to be loosened off, pulled forwards & supported. Also' you need to raise the engine with a hoist & drop the crossmember. Good luck, you'll need it! I recently replaced my sump, Smashed it on a speed hump!

A3.20vt
13-01-2008, 01:55 PM
I know the feeling. I got a bit carried away after having my A3 remapped and hit a bridge at about 90. I was in the air for so long I was thinking to my self “that was a soft landing” when my car was actually just peaking and started nose-diving. I then smashed into the ground, crippling my sump.

I decided to pull over on some rich boys extensive drive way to have a look at what was going on, as it was well lit up, then preceded to empty the contents of my sump onto his nice paved drive way just as he was getting home with his Missus!

In hindsight I’d say it was worth it as the sump only cost £70 and it was bloody good fun! Never again though! It was a sobering experience to say the least…

Good luck with that one. Let us know how smoothly it goes!