PDA

View Full Version : Up in flames Sharan

Fourbears
15-10-2006, 09:29 PM
Yep, thats right. My 99 110TDi SE decided to burst into flames on the M42 at the end of August and its a write off. The insurance "forensic engineer" reckons the main loom was chafed through behind the dash. Dunno how he can tell as the interior is gutted, but he wants to take about £2500 off our settlement for this, as electrical failures are not covered under the policy. :zx11: Apparently. Anyway, no fuses blew, no warning lights came on and nothing stopped working so I'm not so sure it was that.
Thing is, has this happened to anyone else?

greas-E-monkey
15-10-2006, 10:47 PM
Hey you have been very unlucky, modern cars bursting into flames is really rare. As you said how did he trace the cause of the fire to a chaffed loom behind the bulkhead ? sounds like bull to me!. Almost all circuits and consumers are fuse protected so unless this was a main feed to the fuse box i doubt it was the standard loom that caused the fire.
Do you have any non standard accessories fitted. Boy racer stereos/ bass boxes etc?

VW dont like to call them fires, we say rapid corrosion or thermal incidents!!!:firedevil

Fourbears
15-10-2006, 11:43 PM
Unsurprisingly it was a bog standard SE. VW have looked at it but due to its condition, they cannot confirm the insurance engineers stance. I've looked at it and I find it hard to believe he can determine the cause, which he says is the main loom chafing on the dash frame! Needless to say we've logged a complaint and, more worringly, no-one in the company has seen the 'forensic' report! Me thinks it's because he hasn't done one, because he didn't think he'd be challenged, as he's said to us, (and a VW bod who knew what he was talking about), he's the 'Expert'. Well we'll see about that (and so will the Ombudsman I expect!).

greas-E-monkey
16-10-2006, 04:27 PM
I would suggest contacting VW customer service/care and asking them a few questions. they may be interested in your case from a safety and PR point of view. Even if the car is not in warranty its worth giving them a call.

Fourbears
16-10-2006, 05:00 PM
I have already been in contact with them but as it's not a manufacturing defect, they're not interested. Unless you have any ideas on how to make them take notice.

tonyjmoore
16-10-2006, 09:09 PM
try writing to Auto Express

devonutopia
16-10-2006, 11:02 PM
Glad I carry a fire extinguisher in my car then! Eeek!

onzarob
17-10-2006, 12:55 PM
Yep, thats right. My 99 110TDi SE decided to burst into flames on the M42 at the end of August and its a write off. The insurance "forensic engineer" reckons the main loom was chafed through behind the dash. Dunno how he can tell as the interior is gutted, but he wants to take about £2500 off our settlement for this, as electrical failures are not covered under the policy. :zx11: Apparently. Anyway, no fuses blew, no warning lights came on and nothing stopped working so I'm not so sure it was that.
Thing is, has this happened to anyone else?

You say they don't cover for electrical failures, I would assume nearly all fires were started by the electrics. Being the main inginiton source in a car! Did you have fire cover on your policy?

I think I will be checking my insurance tonight for this cluase, seems totally un reasonable to me, I hope you get it sorted....Insurance companies don't half try there luck!!!!

Rob :aargh4:

Fourbears
17-10-2006, 08:18 PM
What they are saying is that they cover the resultant damage but they don't cover electrical (or mechanical) failures. As far as I am concerned, I didn't have an electrical failure, I had a fire! Anyway, we're only claiming for the resultant damage but they can't quite see it! I'll keep you updated.

Oh and by the way, the policy for my Vento says the same! Different company, similar wording.
Forbes.

Vw Touran S 06/56 1.9TDi 105 & Vento CL 1.9 TD 1995 'M'.

onzarob
17-10-2006, 08:56 PM
resultant damage is total write off, full payment. Its not like your asking for price to replace the car plus the cost of a new loom!!

Oh insurance companies make me laugh, well in a frustrated sort of way:zx11:

don't give them an inch, they allways try it on.

Good luck

Rob:D

onzarob
17-10-2006, 09:06 PM
I've just been thinking about this a little more, The insurance company are saying. If your car is damaged by fire they will repair the damage but not the fault that caused it......great if your car is only marginally damaged and you pay to fix the fault.

But a write off is a write off, therfore you should recieve full value. beyond economical repair etc etc. springs to mind

I had the same issue when a car went up the back of my classic car and they started quoting a 'betterment' clause. ie if they fix the panel and also remove the little bit of rust that was there, I have to paya percentage because it's better than it was before it was crashed!!! I held out and argued...they paid the lot......stick with it:)

Fourbears
19-10-2006, 08:05 PM
Thanks for your thoughts, they seem to be along the same as mine! I think they're trying it on and I rang themn again today for a copy of the forensic report. They've still not got it. It gets even more suspicious!

Fourbears
26-02-2007, 03:20 AM
In case anyone is interested, I had a letter from the Ombudsman last week. He ruled that the insurance company (Zurich) should NOT have deducted anything as their clause related to wear and tear or an item that could have been reasonably foreseen to be failing. Which this wasn't. So Zurich have had to pay the money plus interest!!! Hurrah!!!

MalcQV
26-02-2007, 09:04 AM
I've just been thinking about this a little more, The insurance company are saying. If your car is damaged by fire they will repair the damage but not the fault that caused it......great if your car is only marginally damaged and you pay to fix the fault.

But a write off is a write off, therfore you should recieve full value. beyond economical repair etc etc. springs to mind

I had the same issue when a car went up the back of my classic car and they started quoting a 'betterment' clause. ie if they fix the panel and also remove the little bit of rust that was there, I have to paya percentage because it's better than it was before it was crashed!!! I held out and argued...they paid the lot......stick with it:)

Duly noted thanks.

Fourbears, glad it is sorted ;)

onzarob
26-02-2007, 09:29 AM
Great result and thanks for keeping updated:D