PDA

View Full Version : Touchscreen RNS 510 Sat Nav

Trikster
10-01-2008, 02:28 PM
Just picked up my Mk5 Gti - it's got the std RCD300 in it with the ipod link in the armrest.

I'm thinking of upgrading it to an OEM Sat Nav and I've a couple of questions I haven't been able to find answers too elsewhere on the forum....

1. Will the new Touchscreen RNS510 'plug and play' in the same way as the 'normal' model? I've started seeing these on eBay

2. If I go for the 'normal' model.. will anything appear in the screen between the rev & speedo dials - I've the highline computer? (Actually same question for the RSN510 too)

3. I've noticed that a lot of the Sat Navs are being sold out of Lithuania - anyone used these guys?

4. Will I need to do anything special to continue to be able to use the iPod adaptor?

5. Does anyone know if the Parrot CK3000 Evolution Bluetooth will still work with either of the OEM sat navs I've mentioned above.

jasonk
18-01-2008, 02:19 AM
Hi i have just bought a mfd2 from lithuania on ebay and im quite happy, unnit is in good cond, i hear navi555 is reliable. the ipod works the same with my mfd2 as it did with the rcd300, the parrot should work fine, i am planning on fitting one soon

descb600f
18-01-2008, 11:05 AM
Can just confirm you have this in a Mk5 golf.
Was it a simple fit or did you need to mod anything

jasonk
18-01-2008, 02:02 PM
HI yes i have a mark 5 golf, it is fairly easy to change over just remove light sensor, airvents and trim round radio to expose the torx screws, there are quite a few guilds about, all the connections are the same and you simply unplug your rcd300 and plug in your mfd, i assume the newer rns 510 works in the same way as my mfd2, i paid £200 for mine and is in perfect cond with gps ant, and nav cd, im also looking in to installing a dvd so i can watch dvds through the mfd2 screen.

descb600f
18-01-2008, 02:37 PM
£200 jesus thats a steal.
Where does the gps antena go?
Does it do postcode searches.
Any idea who does the mapping etc for them is it a Navteq?

jasonk
18-01-2008, 02:49 PM
Mine just sits in front of the light sensor on the dash i have heard of people mounting it within the air vent ontop of the dash with no problems, i wanted to get the best gps lock. just have a look on ebay and you will find the deals, you will still pay a lot for the rns 510 as it is so new, looks good though.

Ben
18-01-2008, 05:19 PM
All your answers are here http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=21273

For best performance, the antenna has to have a clear view of the sky. should you choose to mount it elsewhere, it may not be as good.