PDA

View Full Version : MkIv 98 gt tdi Newbie.....And suffering problems since day 1.

hyla75
10-01-2008, 12:03 AM
Hi all from a newbie to the forum, to his first car (VW Golf) and to the world of garages, repairs and heartaches while discovering a new problem nearly everyday for the last few weeks since the car has been with me.
Just one piece of advice if buying a second hand golf, try the car, get it checked properly by profesionals and if in doubt do not buy.....And never get it from an auction(ebay) as I did, no matter how cheap and how good the seller will present the car (I've learnt my lesson well); actually I got mine for £2100 which seemed a real bargain until I took it to the garage to get it serviced and it came out with a 1k bill.
And the thing that makes me more unhappy is the fact that i love the car, good ride, stable, cheap to run thanks to that fabolous 1.9 tdi engine with 110 (more than enough for me) bhp....., but the lowdown of the mechanical failures due to the age (10 years) and the mileage (137K) and due to the last owner not taking any care of the car :zx11:!. This constant failures are making me seriously think if to keep it and finish repairing it, or try to use it as a part exchange
to try to get a newer car with no problems.... Any thoughts are welcome.
So far a minor oil leak discovered on the gearbox, the first and the second gears not engaging properly, a fuel leak (already fixed by the guys at nationwide, having to change diesel injector pipes and pump)....And finally today an oil leak inboard from the front of the drivers side front wheel which just this afternoon, the mechanic had a quick look at and explained that in his opinion, this was engine oil leak and could be a simptom of the Turbo being worn and needing replacing!!!!!!!!!:1zhelp:, and that I won't know for sure until they'll check it tomorrow. ANY LIGHT ON THIS PROBLEM WOULD BE MUCH APRECIATED as they might not get to the source of the problem...

Anyway I hope I will be able to find a solution soon and If I decide to repair this two main problems, the car will not give me more trouble for at least a good few months and I will be able to truly enjoy the great ride that otherwise should be.

Once again hi all in this thriving vw-audi community and sorry for such a long first post.

golf tdi 02
10-01-2008, 03:21 PM
hello and welcome to the forum if you post your thread in the correct section you will get a much faster responce
:beerchug::beerchug: