PDA

View Full Version : Smoking Sharans!

Gillie Nicholls
14-10-2006, 08:08 PM
My Sharan (TDI 51 reg) had an appalling problem with thick, white, acrid smoke which would belch from a small pipe just in front of the rear kerb-side wheel. It would happen only on winter mornings whilst the engine was heating up. BUT, it got so bad that on one occasion I had to abandon my trip into town (I was too embarrassed to go through town) and pull over. A man stopped because he thought my car was on fire. It was THAT BAD. An inspired engineer at the VW garage in Ewhurst, Surrey, said it was something to do with the diesel driven rear heater, that VW knew of the problem and had issued some part which could be fitted to overcome it. (No other VW dealer had any idea at all what it could be). Whatever he did worked for about 3 years. However, I notice that the problem has come back. I have a sinking feeling that if I go back to VW they'll scratch their heads and not know what to do. I cannot live with my Sharan belching revolting white smoke through a winter ... all those filthy looks from passing pedestrians and other drivers .......

Tcdisco.com
04-11-2006, 12:01 PM
I have the same problem as you, i do know what you mean about the car being on fire, should you find the cure let me know and likewise i will tell you.
Thanks
Trev @ tcdisco.com

My Sharan (TDI 51 reg) had an appalling problem with thick, white, acrid smoke which would belch from a small pipe just in front of the rear kerb-side wheel. It would happen only on winter mornings whilst the engine was heating up. BUT, it got so bad that on one occasion I had to abandon my trip into town (I was too embarrassed to go through town) and pull over. A man stopped because he thought my car was on fire. It was THAT BAD. An inspired engineer at the VW garage in Ewhurst, Surrey, said it was something to do with the diesel driven rear heater, that VW knew of the problem and had issued some part which could be fitted to overcome it. (No other VW dealer had any idea at all what it could be). Whatever he did worked for about 3 years. However, I notice that the problem has come back. I have a sinking feeling that if I go back to VW they'll scratch their heads and not know what to do. I cannot live with my Sharan belching revolting white smoke through a winter ... all those filthy looks from passing pedestrians and other drivers .......

Tcdisco.com
04-11-2006, 12:49 PM
http://www.fordgalaxy.org.uk/ford/index.php?showtopic=3304&st=0&p=22887&#entry22887

if you find the solution let me know

Gillie Nicholls
04-11-2006, 04:59 PM
The source of the problem of the thick acrid smoke which comes from under the car in cold weather is an auxilliary diesel-driven heater situated under the car under near-side passenger seat area. If you are experiencing a lot smoke (as I have been) it is likely that it needs to have its glow plug replaced. I have just had mine fixed and, so far, despite this cold weather .... no smoke! Hooray! Gillie Nicholls

Tim Sowter
18-11-2006, 12:18 PM
The source of the problem of the thick acrid smoke which comes from under the car in cold weather is an auxilliary diesel-driven heater situated under the car under near-side passenger seat area. If you are experiencing a lot smoke (as I have been) it is likely that it needs to have its glow plug replaced. I have just had mine fixed and, so far, despite this cold weather .... no smoke! Hooray! Gillie Nicholls

Where would we be without the internet!

i bought a second hand sharan 6 weeks ago and have had this same problems on cold mornings. I just got laughed at by a white van man in Croydon because it was belching out so much smoke!!

A quick google search on vw sharan smoke took me straight to this site and I will get it fixed asap

many thanks

Tim