PDA

View Full Version : Engine cutting out at every junction

Dave Skye
09-01-2008, 08:10 PM
My wife's :o Audi A4 1.8 Automatic saloon will not tick over unless the throttle is held down and engine speed at between 900 and 1,000 rpm. Similarily, it will not start unless the throttle is depressed to gain this engine speed. I guess it may be some sort of solenoid valve which is normally open when engine switched off allowing air into the engine and is normall closed by the solenoid when the engine is started. If this is the case could someone please guide me to the faulty solenoid? :confused:

If it is not, could anyone advise what the likely problem is. :confused:

I have been using it since the problem started and my wife is using my car. Once I have managed to reach 900 rpm I can drive the vehicle without too much trouble but it has cut out on me on a couple of roundabouts recently when I let the revs fall too low. Being an automatic it is embarassing going throught he process of getting into park - foot on brake - ignition - easing the throttle to speed the holding and putting into first. By this time there are six cars up the back end getting a little road raged. :zx11: Not that I blame them.

I can't get it into the Audi dealer until 17 January and I feel I shouldn't be using it in this condition, but it is essential.

Many thanks in anticipation. :beerchug:

mellie
10-01-2008, 06:03 PM
Different engine I know, and manual. But an old vw 1.9 tdi I had would do that too me until the engine warmed up. Turned out to be one of the igniter leads was u/s. Got changed and worked a treat. Maybe similar problem, maybe not.

docurley
10-01-2008, 06:25 PM
I would say it sounds like the coolent sensor is nackerd.

Dave Skye
11-01-2008, 09:20 PM
Many thanks Mellie,

This problem happens all the time even after an hours running. On occasions it just hovers arounf the 400 rpm mark and will die unles I put my foot on the throttle in time. Might try you remedy though. Might be a better day to try tommorrow with the weather. Many thanks.

Dave Skye
11-01-2008, 09:23 PM
docurly, Many thanks for your reply - does sound a possibility - any idea what the part number is and what supplier I might get it from? and where it is on the vehicle if possible? Thanks again

docurley
14-01-2008, 11:39 PM
docurly, Many thanks for your reply - does sound a possibility - any idea what the part number is and what supplier I might get it from? and where it is on the vehicle if possible? Thanks again

The parts cheap so pop down to your main dealer or go to vagparts.com.

Andy G 2004
21-01-2008, 08:29 PM
Hi Dave,

Don't know if you have sorted out the fault yet but the same thing happend to my A4
Cutting out all the time. I had to bite the bullet and hand it over to my local Audi dealer. it turned out to be a sencor in the engine it cost a lot to put right put it that way so i wish you luck.

hope this might help

Andy G

jonbaker
21-01-2008, 11:02 PM
my temp' sender has just been replaced for a similar problem. Ok now, part was about £20 i think, local garage fitted it.