PDA

View Full Version : Wipers not working.

Ben
09-01-2008, 06:26 PM
My car (username). Everything worked as it should this morning on the way in t work

not so at the end of the day.

Got in the car, did everything as usual, went to swish the wipers - nothing.
The rear wiper works, front and rear wash works, comp button on end of stalk works, the only thing that doen't is intermittant, constant, constant fast and one touch wipe.

As the rear wiper worked i'm ruling out fuses.

what do the experts think?

VW assistance on the way tonight.

Lucky really - as i only renewed the cover in the last fortnight.

ben:zx11:

bora(ing) nick
09-01-2008, 06:43 PM
Not an expert, (by a long shot!)

But i'd say, new wiper stalk.... Steering wheel off, airbag out, the lot.

Hope it's something a lot simpler though!

Ben
09-01-2008, 07:31 PM
VW assistance man has been and gone and the result is...................... dunno.
Gotta take it to the dealership. He checked all fuses, the bonnet switch, and even a new motor, also when he read it for faults there weren't any and the wipers wouldn't respone when he tried to controll them frof his box of tricks.

Good job i have an extended warranty.:D its been worth every penny.

Once again, a 1st class response from Vw assistance as a whole.

He suspects it is a wiring fault or a faulty stalk <nicks ego grows> although he was suprised that all the wiper positions failed, one position usualy works.

My chariot until this is fixed is the o/h's mk5

fiesta.:p:(

Captain Answer
09-01-2008, 08:08 PM
Broken wire or contact in the colum assembly, knackered switch on the stalk - ouch

Tuka
10-01-2008, 02:47 PM
My rear wiper stoped working this morning on my Golf MK5!!!

bora(ing) nick
10-01-2008, 04:54 PM
He suspects it is a wiring fault or a faulty stalk <nicks ego grows>

I'd never ever say "ner ner na ner ner, told you so!"

Never say that :D

Hope you get it sorted.

Ben
10-01-2008, 07:36 PM
I took it os Listers Stratford this afternoon. Dads taxi's met me there:D

Before we left it had already dissapeared to the workshop. This is good service.:D

while its there i'm getting them to change the rear badge http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?p=113549#post113549

and also as i'm hoping its a dodgy stalk, they will have to remove the steering wheel, so i've asked for a quote for a multifunction steering wheel as the warranty will cover the labour, i'd only be paying for parts.:D

silver38
11-01-2008, 10:12 AM
I would suggest the rain sensor.

Ben
11-01-2008, 05:59 PM
well its all fixed now so i'll give dads taxis a ring;) and hand back moms MK4:o

It turns out that it was the motor:confused: yet i saw the VW assistance man test a different motor to no avail...oh well nevermind.

there is more to this visit to the dealers but it belongs in other already existing threads.

here is more http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?p=113990#post113990

incidently, VW don't retro fit multifunction steering wheels - i asked them in case thay had to have mine off - problems with them apparently - or they just can't be bothered.