PDA

View Full Version : Eos to France

charles West
14-10-2006, 04:10 PM
Our Eos has the Xenon lights which swivel when you go round corners.
The dealer says that to go to France we need to take the car to them and pay about £39 to get them to convert the headlamps for France (in view of other correspondence I have seen, I suspect that they don't fully convert to dipping to the right, but in effect cut off the bit that would dazzle an car coming the other way (in effect just the same as sticking a piece of black sticky paper on the front).
then of course another £39 when we come home.
Does anyone know how to do this job themselves?
Or shall I experiment with black tape!
C.W.

Huweth
15-10-2006, 02:03 AM
I'd suggest parking on a level surface facing a wall. Turn on the lights with the wheel straight. Put on some black tape that makes the light pattern flat on the wall. Then turn the wheel all the way to the left and add more tape to cover the bits that escape the tape. Then repeat with the wheel to the right. That's gotta be easier than working for several hours to make the £80 the dealership wants!!!

This of course depends on the car not needing to be moving for the lights to move...

Let us know what you end up doing.

Caddy Van Man
03-01-2007, 05:55 PM
Agreed - see my post on the Golf forum - they wanted £150 to do this - I will look at the missus ones tomorrow and see if I can do a similar post for the EOS!

P.S. I'm The Doc everwhere else!

Link: http://www.forum.golfgti.co.uk/index.php?topic=51636.0

charles West
07-06-2007, 09:22 AM
I have now trawled through various posts on various on various 'fora' and it does look as if converting the dip-beam for driving in Europe is technically quite simple, just move the little lever on the back of each headlight. The trouble is getting your fingers in there. I managed to move the lever on the off-side light with a pair of pliers with a right angle bend. I could return it to the UK postion with my finger. My brother-in-law could reach it by hand, he has smaller hands. Neither of us could reach the near side one.
Caddy Van Man's link seems to have been removed, and unfotunately I didn't save the pictures when I looked at it just after he posted.
Does anyone have good pictures of the access to the back of the headlight units, or the relevant pages of the workshop manual that they could post?
I feel that all I need is a little more confidence about what I can safely remove to improve access and I would be able to do it. C.W.

RickT
11-06-2007, 12:38 AM
Just whip the headlights out and change it.... theres only 4 screws (torxs) holding the headlights in place..

RickT

charles West
11-06-2007, 07:27 AM
You haven't got a picture have you?
C.W.

RickT
11-06-2007, 10:22 AM
below is a guide for the Audi A4.. it could be very simlair..

RickT

RickT
11-06-2007, 10:22 AM
http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=7485

charles West
21-06-2007, 02:10 PM
Following useful advice in these fora (sorry I did Latin at school), I manged to reach behind the lights and move the levers, pushing the offside one down, and pulling the nearside one up.
Success - of a sort, the lights have lost the nearside kick-up that is good for the hedge in the UK, but would dazzle other drivers when driving in France, BUT...
Now there is a flashing warning light on the dashboard that says "AFS Inoperative". Well, I suppose that I know that but I would really rather that it didn't flash away at me all the time.
Any tips anyone?
C.W.

Huweth
21-06-2007, 06:29 PM
Don't know what AFS is, but if it's to do with Light levelling then you may have dislodged the gearing. Try changing it back and seeing if the problem goes away?

charles West
21-06-2007, 07:29 PM
Thanks - I did try changing them back and the light still flashes. I have done a trawl trhough some other sites, and I see that some people in the USA have had trouble with that warning light, so it may be something that I did in moving the lever, or it may bea faulty warning light. I have already got to take it to the garage because an airbag warning light is on, so let's hope that it is just a warning light that they can reset.
I'll keep you posted.
C.W.

GurnyGub
21-06-2007, 11:35 PM
What we need is people with the kit near ports to contact us. Lots of us live far away from cross-channel ferries, so changing lights near home, and possibly a day or two away from embarkation might not be the best idea. A friendly VW guy near a ferry could do well.
John

charles West
22-06-2007, 07:32 AM
My understanding is that flicking the lever on Eos Xenon's is similar in effect to putting black sticky triangles on your headlamps. It removes the kick up to the left of the car, but does not create a kick up to the right. It is therefore perfectly safe to do it at home a week or two before you go abroad.
If you use headlamp deflectors which have prisms that bend the light they could be dazzling if used while driving in the UK.
C.W.

Gavster
22-06-2007, 07:35 PM
Charles,

Did you take the car into the dealer re the warning light?

charles West
22-06-2007, 08:02 PM
Not yet, it is still flashing!
C.W.