PDA

View Full Version : Intercooler

dirtdigger
09-01-2008, 04:31 PM
Hi helpers,
What's the intercooler doing? what's it intercooling? how does it help the hp? I had a '98 102bhp which had all said gadgets. Now I have a 88 Special and would like more oomph. I have just bought a chip (thread elsewhere) as I thought this would be the magic answer, but reading some of the other threads, regarding injectors/intercooler/mapping, i'm wondering if i've wasted my money on cold chips! Your saged comments would be well read. Thanks.

gypseywilson
12-01-2008, 02:58 PM
Hi, the intercooler is there to keep the air that is used in the combustion process as cold as possible because the engine will develop more power with colder air.
Having an engine re-mapped is far better than fitting a chip,it involves more expense but is worth it
I started with a 98 102bhp 2.5 and have done the following
Remove,clean and blank off EGR valve.
Remove catalyst and rear silencer.
Fit .216 injector nozzles.
Rolling road re-map.
That has upped the power to 160bhp and has made a hell of a difference to the way it goes.

dirtdigger
12-01-2008, 03:30 PM
Ah, enlightenment at last Grasshopper! Thahks. All the mods you mentioned, at what cost? Is fuel economy shot? After all, fuel is now so damned expensive.

gypseywilson
13-01-2008, 06:07 PM
Hi, the most expensive part is the re-map,Wayne Schofield at "Chipwizards" in Rochdale did mine, he charges £350 but he's done about 30 T4's and is very much on top of the game. You get a full session on the rolling road and get a print out of power figures when he's done.I did the exhaust mods myself so I spent about a tenner on tube and half a day cutting and welding.The EGR mods are well documented on "VW T4 forum" , two gaskets and a blanking plate so that's about £5. The injector nozzles are the most awkward, two choices really. Two guys (Rake and Vanbling) have spent a lot of time developing a thread on the T4 forum called "Project Power". Check that out first. Rake sells complete injectors with new .216 nozzles ready to fit, there have been some issues with people buying substandard ones so if you want the safe option do it this way. Me, I like living on the edge so I took a chance and bought some from an outfit in Canada called "Morrisons",they were £62( nozzles only) including postage and are fine so really you make your own mind up. As far as economy is concerned if you use the extra power you will use more fuel, if you go at the same speed as you go now because there is so much more torque you will not need as much throttle opening you will use less........... I fancy the first option is more likely!!!!!:beerchug:

Rake
18-01-2008, 03:49 PM
Hi - Not trying to poach anyone but just for info the Projekt Power thread can be found here -

http://domain1648967.sites.fasthosts.com/showthread.php?t=4005

or if that is not accessible -

http://busgoons.com/component/option,com_fireboard/Itemid,30/catid,18/func,post/

Best Regards.

Ron.

mike-snapper
15-09-2008, 08:18 PM
I have an 800 special TD, could I fit an intercooler to the turbo outlet and give it even just a small boost?

DubDick
16-09-2008, 10:50 AM
Yes, you get get a small improvement in power after fitting an IC. More notriceable when cruising - the engine feels a little more willing. Don't expect too much though.
The difference between the 88 and the 102 (14hp) powerwise are larger injectors, intercooler and a slighly increase compression ratio.
The injectors make the largest difference but it'll be smokey affair without the IC.

mike-snapper
16-09-2008, 11:09 AM
Thanks, it's possibly even worse than that. it's a 68 bhp version of the idi engine, it has a turbo but no ic or more worryingly no ecu to monitor air density. I suspect any benefit from the ic will be minimal
thanks

DubDick
16-09-2008, 03:52 PM
Yes, I agree. I don't think there will be a noticeable effect. The best thing you can do is to fit a boost pin from a peugeot fuel pump to your fuel pump. This will give you more fuel during boost. This can give more power but might be smokey without an intercooler.