PDA

View Full Version : A4 2.0TDI Quattro s-line Special edition steering probs

Fastlad
09-01-2008, 02:34 PM
Hello fellow posters.

I am now 3 months into ownership of the above. I am sure I have read somewhere on this site before but could not track it down a similar post / querie to this.

At low speeds ( Parking) pulling out of junctions. My steering becomes very heavy and Groans a lot. especially of full left lock......The car has done less than 3000 miles and I am already beginning to lose faith with Audi.....It's going in next Wednesday to the dealership to get checked out........Although I was aware of someone on here rejecting the car...and from memory this appears to be a known fault with this model......

Anybody else out there with this issue?:aargh4:

lonky
11-01-2008, 01:32 AM
the 2.0 Tdi Sline's have an issue with the steering racks.

It is a known fault.

JohnH
20-01-2008, 12:15 AM
My FWD TDi 170 SE does this, it was in the dealer on Friday (because it kept reporting low oil - a software bug apparently) and I mentioned it then.

I was told that it is a known problem with the steering rack but without a fix yet and to report it at the first service (due in 5000 miles according to the computer so perhaps 3 months) when a fix should be available.

Like yours, the noise occurs when winding on left lock at low speeds, the service manager assured me it doesn't pose a safety problem and I'm happy to live with it , however my car is leased so I sympathise with anyone who's spent their own money on the car !

I can't say I experience the steering becoming heavy which you report though - just the irritating noise (even louder than the gruff engine ;)).

Fastlad
24-01-2008, 03:44 AM
Thank you my fellow posters for your replies much appreciated.

Well.... I had the car into the dealers last week and on booking it in with the helpful Service Manager Chappie. Without any probing from me he acknowledged "It is a Known Fault and has been since June of Last year... I'll issue a Diss report to Audi uk. They have been looking for a fix for this and when they do ...Audi Uk will contact you to get the car in and get it sorted"

I replied "When will that be"

"Who knows" he said

"Oh....right so I spend close on £30,000 for a car that has had a known fault since June and nobody thought about highlighting this to me at the time?:aargh4:"

" To be honest I'd be surprised if Sales know about it...and would it really have made any difference if they had?"

"Of course not!!!! I would just have been more than happy to part with the cash if I'd known!!"

In a Nut Shell I am waiting on a call from Audi Uk to advise what they are going to do about it, before I head along to my local Trade and standards office to advise I have Faulty goods on my hands!.

joenalex
25-01-2008, 03:12 PM
Hi,

I have the same problem with my a4 2.0tdi sline 07.

From new it has been making the groaning noise when on left hand lock also at speed on the motorway if i'm turning slightly left I get a groaning noise.

Took it back to the dealership and they just said sorry cant find anything wrong. Then took a mechanic out and he agreed so he fitted a new steering rack but this still did not fix it.

Went back to speak to the same mechanic and took him out in it again he then said he would send audi a report so they then fitted a modified steering rack although it is slightly better I can still hear it ....it's doing my head in!!!!

At no point has the dealership said it's a known fault...actually the mechanic seemed quite puzzled but I'm sure in the reply he got back from audi they would have said it's a known problem.

I'm not sure what to do next...go in and moan again or px it for another a4 that does not groan....

Fastlad
28-01-2008, 01:08 PM
My car is back into the dealership today to get a few things fixed. I informed the service department that despite them issuing a Diss report and asking Audi Customer Services to contact me and I also e-mailed them last week ( a reply saying they will be in contact with me in two days). I have not heard a thing from them. :zx11:

Then I was informed that Audi UK now has identified a fix for this problem, a new steering rack and once the part is released by Audi they will get it fitted.

I am still absolutely ripping, suggest you get your dealership to contact Audi Stirling and speak to their Service Manager. I am sure he will confirm your problem as being a known fault to them.

daveb99
17-11-2008, 12:16 PM
Is this problem limited to the 2.0TDI model, or is the 2.0T Petrol S-Line affected as well?

ness
17-11-2008, 12:38 PM
My car is back into the dealership today to get a few things fixed. I informed the service department that despite them issuing a Diss report and asking Audi Customer Services to contact me and I also e-mailed them last week ( a reply saying they will be in contact with me in two days). I have not heard a thing from them. :zx11:

Then I was informed that Audi UK now has identified a fix for this problem, a new steering rack and once the part is released by Audi they will get it fitted.

I am still absolutely ripping, suggest you get your dealership to contact Audi Stirling and speak to their Service Manager. I am sure he will confirm your problem as being a known fault to them.

Our fwd has exactly the same prob, Audi replaced our steering rack last week, however steering is now much heavier whilst driving and parking. Not very happy with this fix, car is now not a pleasure to drive :mad:

KQuattro
17-11-2008, 01:17 PM
Surley if you have bought a brand new car from Audi and it does this you are entitled to an exchange of car ?

I would be kicking off big time until I got one.

ness
17-11-2008, 03:24 PM
We are now awaiting a response from Audi customer care - but quite frankly I don't think they care less, not too many of the models built, so why worry.

Alan02
17-11-2008, 06:20 PM
Hi Guys!been reading all the comments and having worked at a VW comm. main dealer the DISS report as mentioned is the Technicians way of reporting faults and also for finding fixes to the problems posted on the reports.VW/Audi look at the faults and if they feel they have a common problem will bring out a technical report on the fix.It may be that the fault is just coming to light and hopefully they will have a soloution soon.
My experience of VAG warranty is that they will try parts on the car providing they can justify it on the job card write-up.
If the racks arent fixing it,it could be hoses/pump/joints etc and a bit of trial and error!

h8wyn
26-11-2008, 10:46 PM
I had the same on my 07 Special Edition Avant 170. Took it to the dealer at Lake District Audi, they booked it in a week later and they replaced the rack with no fuss at all. The mechanic said that there was an issue with this and Audi had a bulletin about it. Incidentally, the job cost £1565, and cost me nothing. Steering is perfect now.

diesel_dave
04-12-2008, 08:55 PM
There is a fix that can stop the groaning, it is done by draining the power steering fluid down and removing 2 restrictors in the feed pipe ( held in place with silver clipes) and squeeing the restrictors out of the end refit the pipe and fill bleed p/s system. This can help in some cases.