PDA

View Full Version : MK2 1.8 Carb, Cylinder Head

bishbosh66
09-01-2008, 12:37 PM
Hi, out of the frying pan into the fire, having got the thing to run ok now after carb, dizzy swap and warm air hose replacement, joy of joys I find the head gasket has gone !!!
Before I attempt replacement, are there any nasty surprises in store, or should it be relatively straightforward. It will be a budget rebuild, with only the gasket being replaced, unless I come across a whole world of horrors when I take the head off !
Any tips from previous members encounters with this procedure would be gratefully received
1.8 Carb, 1988 model (unsure of engine code),engine has done about 100,000 miles (ish !)
It is intention to change timing belt at the same time, with tensioner.
TUVM

bishbosh66
19-01-2008, 02:27 PM
Okay the weekend is here, and I am halfway through the cylinder head removal. Fun to be had with the water pipes rusted onto the various fittings.
Crankshaft pulley splined bolts have been attacked previously by somebody with the wrong size allen key ! All removed now, manifolds off, just the water pump pulley and then its off with its head ! Hopefully no horrors lurking within...

Diamond Hell
20-01-2008, 02:12 PM
If it were me (and it was about 2 years ago) then I'd go find a PB code motor head - it's the one off the GTI motor. I picked mine up for £30, then got the stem seals done and had it skimmed.

Before I fitted it I span out the injector colletts and slipped a penny in each. This enables you to use the carb on the injection head. Why use the PB head? The cam is a little more aggressive and the valves are bigger - better breathing = more economy and a little more power.

Make sure you replace the cambelt and tensioner while you're in there and use fresh bolts, as they're stretch bolts.

bishbosh66
21-01-2008, 12:45 PM
Thanks for info, I will keep my eyes open for replacement head as you suggest, Golfs are v.popular over here, so should be able to pick up some good spares once I find a good scrappie.
Job itself is finished, new tensioner and belt fitted, new bolts torqued down, all refilled, timed and seems to be running ok. The alternator is not a golf model, and somebody has jury rigged a fitting, and welded an extension to the original arm, it works however is not 100% and rubs a little on the cambelt cover, and generally makes a bit of noise, so that will be the next item for replacement (going to go for second hand as new ones are a little pricey).
Otherwise all seems to be well, although I can hear that the rear brake shoes will need some attention...... It is a never ending story !
Have a good week......