PDA

View Full Version : Golf GT Sport DSG

TrafficTalker
08-01-2008, 11:51 PM
Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone has a DSG VW or automatic as I've got a question.

I've had my golf for over a year now and the last few weeks its been doing something weird. Every morning I get in my car the brake pedal is solid - once I start the engine it slowly sinks again as normal but at first it's solid when I put my foot on it to start.

Any ideas guys?

Dan

www.traffictalk.co.uk (http://www.traffictalk.co.uk)

Matt07858
10-10-2008, 01:10 AM
Hi Dan

Check your waterpump and cambelt, as had one come in yesterday with the same problems as you have described, what i was informed from the RAC Man towing it was, that the waterpump exploded and the ball bearing shot into the cambelt (Timing Belt) hence ripping it.

Kind Regards
Matt
Auto Surgery UK

dod1e
10-10-2008, 10:48 AM
How would a torn timing belt affect the break pedal in the manner described?

Teflon
10-10-2008, 12:01 PM
Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone has a DSG VW or automatic as I've got a question.

I've had my golf for over a year now and the last few weeks its been doing something weird. Every morning I get in my car the brake pedal is solid - once I start the engine it slowly sinks again as normal but at first it's solid when I put my foot on it to start.

Any ideas guys? Dan

If you pump the pedal a couple of times with the engine turned off, the pedal hardens as the vacuum in the servo is exhausted. I also notice the same effect with the engine running on my Passat, which has the electronic handbrake and the auto-hold brakes (when they are actuated) . Do you have this option on your Golf?

The other option is a slow vacuum leak from the servo. I can't imagine that it is leaking from any of the vacuum pipework because I would expect the servo to have a non-return valve.

The timing belt option is more complicated, 'cos with a torn belt the engine ain't going to run (or even survive) and there is no connection with the brakes that would cause the symptoms you describe.

Either someone is yanking your chain (perish the thought), or he knows of some multi-dimensional psychic link between the cambelt and brakes; it probably involves some sort of fracture in one of the starboard warp plasma conduits and the subsequent emission of thoron radiation from the single diaphragm double-dipole flange retractor mechanism which is initiated whenever Jupiter is ascendent in Capricorn and your wife/GF/significant other has bought green shoes in the last week. The mechanism is supposed to drain all of the crystal energy from the throstle-wick, but a side effect is that it makes the brake pedal go hard. Only on Tuesdays though, which I've never really understood properly. Maybe you should have the car looked at by a psychic healer. I know a good one who paints the car with Heinz baked beans and chicken soup to cure difficult problems like this. She also does MOT tests for only £9.99, which I think is an absolute bargain, even if the beans do cost £299 a tin.

m woodley
10-11-2008, 11:52 PM
Hi Dan

My car GT Sport 170 manual, does exactly the same... did you sort the problem???