PDA

View Full Version : 170 tdi avant poorly !

s20a4avant
08-01-2008, 11:44 PM
Hi, any one else having problems ? my 9 month old 170 tdi went in for a service and never came back out !i comlained about poor mpg which has gone off recently and heavy oil use, they rang me after a short while and said it had major problems with oil in the coolant and needed to be stipped down. A bit dissapointed but i have done 56k in 9 months so thank god warranty cover this. any way they say it needs a modification so has any one else had this or having poor mpg/ oil use problems ? :(

GH20TDI
09-01-2008, 10:18 AM
I would be really interested to hear the outcome of this. Last year I started experiencing problems starting (starter slow, then not firing on all cylinders until it had been running for a minute of so). Eventually the starter packed up (was not the battery as I first suspected).

It went in to have the starter changed, and ended up with a diagnosis of broken starter and cracked cylinder head :confused:...

The car was 2 years old with 30k on the clock at the time, but I thought it odd for the head to crack. It is a 140tdi, but essentially the same block, so I am interested to see if it is the same issue. I don't think there was any evidence of oil in water (and veice versa) but it could be the same issue.

Hopefully not as it might be indicative of a potential design fault with the 2.0 tdi lump.

Good luck getting it sorted.

GH20TDI
04-03-2008, 02:49 PM
Hi - I hope you got this sorted - what was the problem / resolution?

s20a4avant
04-03-2008, 10:30 PM
Hi - I hope you got this sorted - what was the problem / resolution?
Hi, sorted in the end (well nearly)= 2 things a mod on the head which was replacing the locating pins for head, audi used split pins but need replaced with soild ones, then my turbo was replaced even though it tested ok ? but having the car back a few weeks the mpg was still 38 on runs so have swopped for a bmw ! 50mpg on runs now......:approve:.