PDA

View Full Version : Eos and iPod

charles West
14-10-2006, 10:23 AM
I notice that several of you have ordered an Eos with iPod. Has anyone got it to work?
My fourth generation 40Gig ipod with software 3.1.1 a) doesn't fit in the glove box, and b) is not recognised by the radio.
On an Apple discussion board I noticed that some people had trouble in a Passat if they had the latest software on their iPod, so it would seem that VW need to update the software on the radio. Blaupunkt themselves have a software updater for the after fit market, but the radios that they make for VW are outside their knowledge!
Thanks, for comments, C.W.

SWORDFISH
14-10-2006, 01:34 PM
I notice that several of you have ordered an Eos with iPod. Has anyone got it to work?
My fourth generation 40Gig ipod with software 3.1.1 a) doesn't fit in the glove box, and b) is not recognised by the radio.
On an Apple discussion board I noticed that some people had trouble in a Passat if they had the latest software on their iPod, so it would seem that VW need to update the software on the radio. Blaupunkt themselves have a software updater for the after fit market, but the radios that they make for VW are outside their knowledge!
Thanks, for comments, C.W.

I'm sorry, I don't understand, how does it not fit in the glovebox? Do you mean glovebox or centre console (as the glovebox is reasonably sized)?
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c230/PLOPLOPLOP/DSC_0409.jpg
I'm a bit worried about what you say with the fourth gen ipod, as I have just got an 80g fifth gen! It comes next week, here's hoping it works.

charles West
14-10-2006, 04:05 PM
Sorry, the USB socket is in the armrest box, which would accomodate an iPod mini, but not a full size iPod.
That is not a major worry, as one can leave the lid of the arm rest slightly raised, and then there would be room for the iPod wire to come out. the failure of the radio to recognise the iPod is the bigger problem.
C.W.

charles West
14-10-2006, 06:14 PM
An update - we have now tried a 3rd generation, and 4th generation iPod, a first generation shuffle, and a first generation nano; each of these with it's latest version of the software, and none of them was recognised by the VW radio.
C.W.

SWORDFISH
14-10-2006, 08:13 PM
An update - we have now tried a 3rd generation, and 4th generation iPod, a first generation shuffle, and a first generation nano; each of these with it's latest version of the software, and none of them was recognised by the VW radio.
C.W.
If you want to PM me your email address, I have a pdf file I can email you with the ipod instructions. I seem to remember that it says the 4th generation is supported. You may have a dodgy connection:confused:

GurnyGub
28-10-2006, 02:49 PM
I've just this week ordered a 3.2 Eos with dvd/satnav and ipod fitting, having believed this was a general mp3 connection, and therefore suitable for my sonyericsson phone music files. If anyone can quickly advise I'd appreciate it, as I now think I should straightaway change to a 6cd changer and go for a specific connection later. If there are problems with an ipod designated fitting, what chance would I have with a walkman phone?

charles West
08-11-2006, 11:58 PM
If you want to PM me your email address, I have a pdf file I can email you with the ipod instructions. I seem to remember that it says the 4th generation is supported. You may have a dodgy connection:confused:

Many Thanks for the pdf that you kindly eMailed me. There was one thing in there that I had not tried, which was to re-boot the iPod while connected. I tried. No joy.
the dealer is going to try some other possiblities later this month - I'll keep you all posted.

hula-hoops
09-11-2006, 03:39 PM
GurnyGub - The USB is a good alternative option since it is quick and easy to use. I know you have to duplicate what is on your mp3/phone but that is no big deal, and the sticks can always remain in the car. That's what I have gone for anyway. My V6 arrived with the 6 CD changer even though I specified the USB option. The local dealer then swaps it over.

GurnyGub
09-11-2006, 10:16 PM
Thanks, hoops! I was feeling a wee bit out on a limb, as dealers were a bit shruggy. Well, tell me the good news about the car and handling then? This is the first time I've ever ordered a car without a test drive. I had extended test drives of an Eos 2T, an Audi 3.2 Q, an R32, so had a leap of faith. Health to drive!

hula-hoops
09-11-2006, 11:05 PM
Well I was concerned too not having a test drive, but any worries I had instantly vanished on my first drive. I haven't driven far yet so too early to give a review, but early impressions are fantastic . You can drive it softly around town if you want, or you can slip into 'S' mode, switch off the radio and enjoy. My first cruise (and first drive in the daylight!) will be this weekend so I will be able to comment further then.
:biglaugh:

GurnyGub
10-11-2006, 12:22 AM
I'll look forward to the vicarious pleasure of hearing all about it....and try not to be jealous.

charles West
12-12-2006, 08:13 PM
iPod Problem Solved!

After I had tried about six different iPods, and the dealer had tried two, VW eventually admitted that they had fitted the wrong interface. They had fitted the USB interface (i.e. not for Apple iPods).
They have had the car in again and now fitted the correct part - in the Glove box- and it works. Like others I have to report that the interface is not the cleverest, but the sound is good, which for me is the main thing.
thanks to all those who came up sith ideas. Charles West.

rwpgriffiths
08-05-2007, 03:50 PM
I am not sure if this was answered here but I have a new 40gb Ipod and I was going to specify an Ipod connection with the sat nav (i am asking a question about that on here too) The dealer is being really unhelpful about the ipod question.

So if anyone can tell me if it works and what the interface with the stereo is like that would be good. I have about 10 playlists so would want to access them all plus the rest.

I cheat in my current car by having an 8cd stacker and a separate ipod connection.

charles West
08-05-2007, 11:28 PM
Well the ipod connector works fine. The quality is good, but I have to say that the interface is pretty basic.
You can access all your tracks one after the other, but that woulde require counting how many tracks you have got, and laboriously going through them till you get to the one you want, or you can use one of five playlists. It will only access the five playlists that are alphabetically nearer the beginning of the alphabet. So in practice it is prbably easiest to put some things that you want to listen to into a couple of playlists beginning with an aq or b, and just use those. Still, you can carry an almost infinite amount of music, or audio books, podcasts etc with you, so I am glad to have it.
C.W.

ddlweb
14-05-2007, 01:13 PM
OK so I ordered my:

2.0 FSi
Midnight Blue
Luxury Pack
Dynaudio system
iPod adapter
6CD changer...about 4 weeks ago now (and I can't wait, literally - it's killing me!) and as you see above I've ordered both the CD changer and the iPod adapter. I'm a bit sad like that and sometimes I just want to use CD!

The dealer didn't seem to have a problem with this configuration, but reading this got me thinking; is there actually the capacity to do both the changer and the adapter?

Anyhow I'll sit and wait patiently for another 10 weeks or whatever it is going to be, as long as the summer hasn't finished by then!!

doubledee
16-08-2007, 06:39 PM
Sorry to hi-jack this thread but can anyone tell me what ipod track, artist etc. info is displayed on a MFD2 DVD-Sat Nav unit? My mate is thinking about buying one for his Eos and has asked me to find out for him.

TIA

pjcamera
08-11-2007, 12:19 AM
Sorry, the USB socket is in the armrest box, which would accomodate an iPod mini, but not a full size iPod.
That is not a major worry, as one can leave the lid of the arm rest slightly raised, and then there would be room for the iPod wire to come out. the failure of the radio to recognise the iPod is the bigger problem.
C.W.
I've had my EOS for 5 hours now! The iPod fits perfectly in the armrest, syncs with the radio perfectly (set on CD) and the armrest closes fine.
... sounds good too.