PDA

View Full Version : A4 1.8T 1997 losing power..

stevier
13-10-2006, 09:32 PM
Recently bought the above vehicle, love it to death, but have a problem with a lack of power...

When putting the engine under pressure there is a complete lack of power, i have to take foot off pedal, put into lower gear to get any sort of power...
Also seems to be intermittent.

Dont know if this is same problem, but when sitting idling, revs can go from 500 to 1500 without touching pedal....

I have changed the plugs but this did solve...hope someone can provide a solution....

Car is booked in for a waterpump change start of week, and garage are going to have a look but was hoping some kind person could give me a heads up on what might be wrong....

muly
15-10-2006, 08:41 PM
sounds like it could be the all to common maf sensor, they give all of the faults you have when they go wrong

adamss24
15-10-2006, 10:38 PM
Hi, have your car scaned for fault codes as there seems to be an overboost problem. What is happening your turbo makes more boost than the ECU is asking for, thus putting the engine in "Limp mode" to protect engine. As soon as you stop/start the engine again, it goes back to normal. If you unplug the MAF sensor and the engine run/pulls smoothly then that sorts one of the problems. Mind you though that by doing this ,the car ECU will record an fault code ...but this can be easilly cleared !

stevier
16-10-2006, 04:10 PM
Cheers for all the info, will look to find decent price for a new Maf...what is a decent price, link below for one on ebay, is this a good price ??

Car has been strange last 2 days, went to work yesterday and it ran terrible, but coming home this morning ran like a dream, does this confirm that the Maf is the problem.

Temp going to work was warm and coming home this morning it was very cold, this is the only difference i can think off.

Will ask garage tomorrow if they can check this out for me....

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-0280-218-063-MAF-air-flow-sensor-meter-VW-Audi-Seat_W0QQitemZ250026439496QQihZ015QQcategoryZ10372 QQssPageNameZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem