PDA

View Full Version : New tyres making hum?

jonbaker
08-01-2008, 02:42 PM
I seem to be posting lots of niggly little problems here lately lol

I recently had four new tyres fitted to my 17"inch wheels. I went for the budget ones because i had to fork out for a new clutch aswel. Anyhow, when i hit about 60 and over i notice they seem to make a low humming noise, the mrs cant hear it but i'm a man of detail and spot everything! It doesn't bother me because i hardly go on the motorway but i think it would bug me if i did. Is there any reason for this? is it due to the tread or something?

AutoTDI
08-01-2008, 02:58 PM
Probably. Tyre noise varies a lot between brands/types/wheel sizes. The noisiest are low profile types. I use Continentals which are advertised as "low noise".

jonbaker
08-01-2008, 03:02 PM
Thanks for the info ;)

AutoTDI
08-01-2008, 03:38 PM
I forgot to add that type of road surface, particularly on motorways, can also have a profound effect, so it may not be the tyres alone.

golf tdi 02
08-01-2008, 04:24 PM
ff the tyres i love the sound but know what you mean it can get a bit loud on different types of road once you have done a few miles it will subside

:beerchug::beerchug:

jonbaker
08-01-2008, 08:31 PM
ff the tyres i love the sound but know what you mean it can get a bit loud on different types of road once you have done a few miles it will subside

:beerchug::beerchug:

cheers! :beerchug: you've made me thirsty now, thanks!!!! lol