PDA

View Full Version : Alternator Clutch Pulley

Vingster
07-01-2008, 10:32 PM
I've got problems with the power steering, belt is jumping causing rumbling at tick over and whilst turning steering at low speed. After much searching of the forums, it looks like the clutch could have seized in the alternator pulley. What I'm struggling to find out is can this be replaced without pulling the front end of the car forward, as with the timing belt change. The alternator looks accessable at the top right hand side of the engine, so hoping it can be done easily. The car is a 1999 Passat 1.9TDi SPORT 115BHP.
Can anyone please confirm the repair process and what the specific spline tool is, required to remove the pulley. Also suggestions of where to buy pulley and tool

:1zhelp:

MANY THANKS IN ADVANCE

Crasher
07-01-2008, 10:37 PM
You have to pull the front end forward, release the belt and remove the alternator, at least that’s the way I do it. You also need a special tool to release the pulley.

Vingster
07-01-2008, 11:31 PM
THANKS! Did some more searching and found this :

:D:D

Tools:

13mm socket
13mm deep socket
10mm socket or wrench
17mm box wrench
19mm open end wrench (long length preferred)
8mm hex bit - 3/8 inch drive
3 inch extension for 3/8 inch drive
3/8 inch drive ratchet wrench
3/8 inch drive torque wrench
1/2 inch drive ratch wrench or breaker bar
1/2 inch drive torque wrench
3212 pin wrench
19mm socket
Metalnerd Part MN3400SET - Serrated Alternator Pulley Bit Set

1 - open the bonnet (hood) and remove the engine cover.

2 - slide the battery cover to the right side of the and lift off.

3 - Loosen the nut on the negative terminal and pull off the cable

4 - Place a rag over the terminal to prevent accidental contact

5 - Remove the black cap from the large cable retaining nut on the back of the alternator. Remove the nut and take the cable off of the post, then put the nut back on so you don't lose it. Disconnect the connector for the smaller wires. Note the small tab on the wire tie type of retainer below that connector. You can push that small tab towards the long loose end of the retainer and slip that long loose end back through the retainer then remove the cable from the alternator.

6 - Use a 19mm wrench on the ribbed belt tensioner and move the top end towards the right side of the car then slip the belt off of the alternator pulley.

7 - slip the 8mm hex bit on the extension through the access hole in the bracket

8 - counterhold the pulley with the 3212 pin wrench and remove the bolt with the 8mm hex bit.
You might be able to use a strap wrench to counterhold the pulley, but I have the 3212 so I didn't try.

9 - Let the fan assembly gently rest at bottom. You won't be able to get it out of the car.

10 - Use 13mm short socket and remove the bolt with the belt tensioner. Then use a 13mm long socket to remove the bolt below the alternator pulley. The long socket allows your ratchet wrench to clear the alternator pulley and makes it easier to remove the bolt.

11 - Use a pry tool gently to pry the alternator loose. Once the top was loose I flipped this pry tool over and used the short end to pry the bottom loose.

12 - remove the alternator from the car.

15 - insert the multispline tool from the Metalnerd kit (or 3400 tool if you have one) into the pulley

16 - slip a 17mm wrench onto the multispline tool, and insert the M10 triple square or T50 6 lobe bit (as appropriate for your alternator) through the multispline tool. Use a 1/2 drive ratchet or breaker bar to turn the bit in a clockwise (typically tightening) direction while counterholding with the 17mm wrench. This pulley was put on to 80 Nm. The pulley will unscrew from the shaft of the alternator.

17 - screw the replacement pulley onto the shaft, assemble the tools as above, and use a torque wrench to tighten the pulley to 80 Nm. Tightening is accomplished by turning the torque wrench counterclockwise (typically loosening) direction. Install the plastic cover.

18 - Place a 19mm socket around the threaded inserts and press them out of the alternator mounting tab a little. The shiny surface is the side to put the socket on. I sandwiched mine in a vise to press the inserts to the position shown. This will make it easier to remount the alternator on the engine bracket.

Installation is the reverse of removal.
Tighten the 8mm hex bit bolt to 45 Nm.
Tighten the alternator mounting bolts to 25 Nm.
Tighten the 13mm nut on the large cable to 15 Nm.

Vingster
13-01-2008, 09:07 PM
I went into my local motor factors on Friday to try and order the Alternator clutch pulley, and he looked at me as if I was stupid. Basically sent me on my way suggesting I go direct to VW to purchase.
Does anyone know of the part number and any dealers that sell this part?
The car is a Passat 1.9TDi 85Kw (115bhp) AJM 1999

THANKS

Eddie
13-01-2008, 09:28 PM
Hope you have better luck than me at vw i went to buy a hub bolt remover basically a 17mm allen bit and was told ''sorry mate we dont sell tools''

Vingster
13-01-2008, 09:41 PM
Yeah, I've heard that VW can be a bit awkward on that. They just want you to give up and book the car in with service team. Then you walk out later with an empty wallet.
I've got the required tool on order from the states, cost £20 incl. shipping (BARGAIN) as some guy on E-bay is selling it for £27 + shipping.
I've also managed to find the pulley on E-bay.com at a cost of $80 but the shipping is $97 dollars :(
Hence I'm looking locally for the part. Just struggling to find anyware yet. I've tried the usual, eurocarparts, GSF etc, just hoping that someone in the forum can help.

Crasher
15-01-2008, 05:39 PM
The tool is number 3400 and costs £10.95 from a VW dealer who really cannot refuse to order it; technically it is illegal to do so under Block Exemption rules. The pulley varies according to the alternator fitted but should be 022 903 119 D which costs £59.75.

Pauloz
22-01-2008, 08:32 PM
Yeah, I've heard that VW can be a bit awkward on that. They just want you to give up and book the car in with service team. Then you walk out later with an empty wallet.
I've got the required tool on order from the states, cost £20 incl. shipping (BARGAIN) as some guy on E-bay is selling it for £27 + shipping.
I've also managed to find the pulley on E-bay.com at a cost of $80 but the shipping is $97 dollars :(
Hence I'm looking locally for the part. Just struggling to find anyware yet. I've tried the usual, eurocarparts, GSF etc, just hoping that someone in the forum can help.
GSF couldnt help? They should normally stock them as this is one of the fastest movers. I think the INA number you need is 535 0005 10. If they say they don't have it, advise them to check wholesaler FPS, they definately have them, and will supply most factors.... albeit at extra cost.
But yeah - its a relitively new thing being able to get them separate from the alternator, so many factors wont have a scooby doo yet.
Hope that helps.

mears1000
11-09-2008, 11:33 PM
As a follow on to the ongoing issue of supplies my local VW dealer would sell me the tool needed to remove the pulley but would cost around £25.

GMF in Llanelli sold me a Sealy SX400 kit for £17 and the pulley was £45 through Motor World in Swansea but supplied by another local motor factors (GMF I think). It's the INA pulley number 535 0005 10.

Price through any of the VAG dealers was exaclty the same.

Pauloz
12-09-2008, 07:14 AM
Aye, GMF should have been able to supply the pulley too - they are one of only a few who have a direct account with the manufacturers for these.

mears1000
12-09-2008, 08:03 AM
When I spoke to them they didn't have my year passat listed only upto 2000. They weren't sure if it would fit but when I went through Motor World they checked the serial numbers. I'm not 100% it was gmf who supplied it though.

All I need now is the pin wrench.:1zhelp:

caldirun
17-09-2008, 05:51 PM
As a follow on to the ongoing issue of supplies my local VW dealer would sell me the tool needed to remove the pulley but would cost around £25.

GMF in Llanelli sold me a Sealy SX400 kit for £17 and the pulley was £45 through Motor World in Swansea but supplied by another local motor factors (GMF I think). It's the INA pulley number 535 0005 10.

Price through any of the VAG dealers was exaclty the same.
Anyone know the function of a clutch in a pulley? how free should the pulley be in the reverse direction? can the pulley be stripped or lubricated if tight?

mears1000
17-09-2008, 08:46 PM
Have a read of this. Anyone used their alternators?

http://www.qxcomponents.co.uk/tech.pdf

Pauloz
17-09-2008, 09:17 PM
Anyone know the function of a clutch in a pulley? how free should the pulley be in the reverse direction? can the pulley be stripped or lubricated if tight?
Its there to calm belt flap which has become more prevalent in modern engines, especially diesels.
The movement should be smooth, its not a sprag clutch like on a push bike, just ball bearings that stop if rotated in one direction. The movement is not loose though, it should never spin.
Typically when they go, its because the insides are worn, and the ball bearings don't lock any longer, so rotates in both directions.
Its not a servicable item.
Hope that helps! :D

caldirun
17-09-2008, 09:43 PM
Have a read of this. Anyone used their alternators?

http://www.qxcomponents.co.uk/tech.pdf
If a siezed pulley causes destruction of the tensioner a solid pulley will do just the same, Cowboys from the sound of it!

Pauloz
17-09-2008, 10:05 PM
If a siezed pulley causes destruction of the tensioner a solid pulley will do just the same, Cowboys from the sound of it!
Yeah, I agree. Didnt read the link before.
The clutch pulley (OAP) is there for a reason. VAG wouldnt pay to fit it if they didnt need to!!
They didnt 'decide to replace it'... they went for the cheap option and did away with it...... IMHO.
The OAP is working all the time, not just slowing down quickly. Since when does road speed have a direct correlation with engine speed?? Theres a thing called 'gears' too!

Crasher
17-09-2008, 11:15 PM
Drop the belt off and carefully hold the internals of the alternator with a screwdriver and the pulley should be solid in the direction of drive and free in the opposite direction with virtually no drag.