PDA

View Full Version : Xenon lights and continental driving

AAL
07-01-2008, 08:13 PM
I am over in France more than once a month. I am keen to avoid going into Audi before and after every trip, sometimes at short notice, to have the headlights converted for continental driving. Also, I am not interested in using one of the filters that results in a flat beam. There has to be a filter before the lens that can be flipped over to alter the pattern as on the older B5s without Xenon lights. Does anyone know how to do this?

Zenerdiode
22-01-2008, 01:18 AM
Have a look for a leaver on the back of the projector assembly on the back of the headlight. Most xenon lights use projector lenses and most projector lenses have a mechanical lever for changeover.

If they have gone to electronic changeover that can only be done with a diagnostic tool, this would be just plain barmy.

Lynn Woods
05-07-2009, 11:11 AM
I had a lease A6 2004-2007 and this was a real pain. The dealer configured the car prior to crossing to France but this cancelled the left aspect altogether including on main beam, so any left bend on a winding narrow road was conducted blind!

Does anyone know if this issue has been addressed? I am thinking of a new A6/A8 but I am a frequent cross channel traveller and if I don't have an easy left/right aspect switch it will be a showstopper. Stickers are not an acceptable answer.

TIA

kite
05-07-2009, 06:13 PM
On a friends A5 this can be done through the MMI, would think a 6 or 8 would be the same

Lynn Woods
05-07-2009, 09:49 PM
Thanks for that, will research MMI - new to me!

Cheers

Lynn

a8 tech
05-07-2009, 09:56 PM
Q5,a5 and b8 a4 support tourist mode in mmi user settings.B7 requires address 55 adaption channel reset to adjust the headlight which then alerts the driver on start up by displaying the warning on the dis.Please don't play around with xenon lights with the ignition on as any voltage spike could kill you

Channel 010: Tourist Solution

When driving in countries where driving is performed on the opposite side as in the native country the headlights must be changed over to avoid blinding the oncoming traffic. When active/enabled the Fault Code 02988 will be stored.

* 0 = Disabled
* 1 = Enabled

Note: Only supported for 8P0-907-357-C @ 0020 or newer! Earlier versions require a mechanical Adjustment as described in the Factory Repair Manual

Lynn Woods
05-07-2009, 10:30 PM
Thanks for that, and for the reminder of the inspirational Fred!