PDA

View Full Version : audi a4 quattro avant

murray26775
07-01-2008, 07:33 PM
hi, im driving an audi a4 quattro avant, (98 R reg) the abs warning light has started to come on. at first it used to come on every now and then but in the last few weeks it has been on constantly. i had a go at running a cloth behind the discs to see if i could free up any dirt on the sensors but truth be told i couldnt even identify the sensors. i have only had the car for a few months and havnt got a manual, mainly because im having trouble sourcing one for the v6 engine. can anybody help me as the beeping is driving me mad. thanks.:1zhelp:

hagis
07-01-2008, 07:58 PM
Have you got access to Vagcom? Whereabouts are you - a member might let you use theirs if you're near to them.

Alex Himself
07-01-2008, 10:58 PM
Hi,

I had an ABS sensor warning light on my Bora and luckily it turned out to be a break sensor of some description which was cheap to replace, hopefully this is the case with yourself.

Alex

TheWills
07-01-2008, 11:19 PM
Remove the wheel and you'll see brake hoses etc, you are lookinh for the thinnest, most flexible electrical type cable which ends up plugged in just the other side of the disc facing in toward the drive shaft. They should have a "bellows" style dust seal where they plug in. To remove they are a push fit but will need a twist and pull to work them out DONT PULL THE CABLE pull the body only. You will probably find a bit of surface corrosion and brake dust on the end of the sensor, a clean and polish (don't forget the housing) took me 45 mins start to finish for all four and I'd never done it before, straight forward job.

murray26775
08-01-2008, 08:55 PM
Have you got access to Vagcom? Whereabouts are you - a member might let you use theirs if you're near to them.
im in bedfordshire, vagcom i take it is something you plug into the ecu? excuse my ignorance iff not. first time ive heard of it.

hagis
08-01-2008, 09:44 PM
Yes, that's right. Eshrules on this forum can sell you a cable for about £15, I think. The shareware version of the software is free to download. There's a topic devoted to it and a "how to" as well, I think.

murray26775
12-01-2008, 12:32 PM
Remove the wheel and you'll see brake hoses etc, you are lookinh for the thinnest, most flexible electrical type cable which ends up plugged in just the other side of the disc facing in toward the drive shaft. They should have a "bellows" style dust seal where they plug in. To remove they are a push fit but will need a twist and pull to work them out DONT PULL THE CABLE pull the body only. You will probably find a bit of surface corrosion and brake dust on the end of the sensor, a clean and polish (don't forget the housing) took me 45 mins start to finish for all four and I'd never done it before, straight forward job.
i tried that but i think it has a different set up. the thinnest wire doesgo into a housing but it faces backwards not facing the wheel. i tried to work it free (even got a pliers to it) but it wont comeloose. dont want to force it incace i damage it. prob be best to have a manual and i could be sure im at the right thing.

Muncho
17-01-2008, 01:30 AM
9 times out of 10, it will be a fault in the ecu/pump unit. A live data scanner could identify a fault, but often it is at the ecu end not at the component. Most of the vw/audi abs faults we come across in our work shop come back to the ecu. We send ours away for repair. I had to do my own s4 unit recently, so even mechanics aren't exempt from problems.

murray26775
18-01-2008, 01:29 AM
9 times out of 10, it will be a fault in the ecu/pump unit. A live data scanner could identify a fault, but often it is at the ecu end not at the component. Most of the vw/audi abs faults we come across in our work shop come back to the ecu. We send ours away for repair. I had to do my own s4 unit recently, so even mechanics aren't exempt from problems.
its good to know that mechanics have problems too, mind you, i wouldnt wish car trouble on anybody, as i also have a renault 9 that has been such a sweet car to me that i use to commute to london in daily. on my way home today the water pump said its last goodbys while i was on the m1. its in with the doctor at the min and will be raring to go again very soon. getting back to the subject though, does cost much to repair the ecu?

Muncho
19-01-2008, 11:00 PM
Not sure of costs in uk I live in New Zealand, but a rough conversion would be around the 150-200 pound mark. Pays to go this way instead of second hand If you can. Good luck