PDA

View Full Version : 96 Cabriolet lost power on motorway, won't restart

Mike80Cab
07-01-2008, 07:12 PM
Hi all

I have a beautiful 96 Cabriolet 2.6 V6 Automatic which has done 60,000miles. Yesterday while travelling on the motorway I tried to accelerate and the car felt as if I was starting to brake, i.e. was losing power. I pulled over and switched it off. I tried to restart it, but the starter would not turn at all. All the lights came on as normal, even the fuel pump activated - but there was no action from the starter.

I opened the bonnet and there was a slight smell of electrical burning. Up until that point the car had been running faultlessly with coolant temp and oil pressure and temp all normal.

I am absolutely stumped as there was no warning signs of any potential problems and the car always runs beautifly - and has such a tiny milage. Does anyone have any idea what the problem could be?

scotty33
08-01-2008, 12:29 AM
I think, as far as the starter is concerned, there is the ignition switch, the immobiliser, and the solenoid. The immobiliser or the ignition switch could be playing up, but if you smelled something from under the bonnet it is more likely a short somewhere, or an earth has burnt up? eg earth strap to the engine.