PDA

View Full Version : Water trickling in from under pedal cluster

Inked
07-01-2008, 04:03 PM
I bought this 2001 1.4s 3 door Golf recently, i found the carpets and wadding was saturated with water, i decided to strip out all the carpet and wadding to dry it all off in the house.
I sat in the car earlier when it was raining and i could see a trickle of water coming in from under the pedal cluster somewhere.

I am guess in the rain water is running off the body and windscreen and collecting under the windscreen wiper area (scuttle i think) and pooling up somewhere, are there drainage holes under there that could be blocked?

I did find a small rubber grommet/bung when i was stripping out the carpet could this be exposing a hole?

Any help would be appreciated, cheers

mluton
07-01-2008, 04:16 PM
Look under the battery, could be a blocked drain hole.

Also look at your pollen filter, could be filled with leaves.

Both cause water to enter the car.

Welcome to the site.

Inked
07-01-2008, 04:28 PM
Thanks for the welcome.
I've checked my pollen filter its all nice and dry, there was a bit of crap inside where the box for the filter is mounted so i cleared what i could out.
As for the battery its mounted at the front right hand side of the engine bay not near the fire wall

handford
07-01-2008, 06:15 PM
I have the exact same problem :zx11:. Will watch this space with interest.

golf tdi 02
07-01-2008, 06:25 PM
are all of the rubber grommits in place to stop the water passing through the bulk head ???

:beerchug::beerchug:

Inked
07-01-2008, 09:18 PM
I've been looking under the scuttle (windscreen cowl according to my haynes manual) and i think it might be the seal around my bonnet release catch cable.
I am going to take my wiper arms off and lift out the windscreen cowling and have a good look around underneath. I am just waiting for a puller to arrive as the wiper arms are very tight on their shafts.
I've ordered this with advice for some other forum while googling -
http://www.justoffbase.co.uk/Battery-Terminal-Puller-Sealey-AK419

I'll post what i find.

Inked
09-01-2008, 01:46 PM
I got that tool through this morning, broke it trying to get my wiper arms off. So i popped to halfords and got a good 2/3 arm puller, got that on my wiper arms and the still didnt budge.
After further examination i've found the area the water is trickling in through.
Behind my pedal cluster is a black plate bolted against the chassis/bulkhead its obviously sealed in at factory but for some reason its letting in water.

Now i can proberly seal this up from inside the car easily but i am worried the water might build up some where and cause damage further down the line.

Also i found a mystery rubber seal/grommet under my scuttle just sitting next to my bonnet pop cable.

http://img2.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/12d051e3a1.jpg

This is what makes me a little unsure about sealing the leak up from inside, because if this grommet is ment to be sealing something under the scuttle then i could get a water build up.

Any ideas people?

33rpm!
09-01-2008, 02:17 PM
I had the same problem with water running down the bonnet release cable and soaking the carpet on my 2000 Mk4. The VW Main Agents told me that I needed a new bonnet release cable and quoted a ridiculous price and 3 week wait to get the work done so I decided to take a look myself.

After taking the wipers etc off I found that the bulkhead drainholes were blocked with gunge and leaves. This was causing the water level to rise above the point where the bonnet release cable entered the car via the bulkhead and when it did water came streaming into the car via the cable. I unblocked the drainholes and put a bit of gutter sealant around the point where the cable passes through the grommet (it wasn't deterioated) and the car's been dry as a bone ever since.

Cheers.

Inked
09-01-2008, 05:32 PM
Thanks for your input, i am fairly sure it isn't my bonnet release catch cable but i cant 100% exclude it.
I poured some water down the scuttle to see if my seal had worked but the water just tricked out higher up, there is only so high up i can access to seal and water will proberly still trickle out.
I have to get under the scuttle. The wiper arms dont want to budge, i've soaked them in WD40 hopefully that'll give me a fighting chance i'll leave them over night.
Once i can access under the scuttle i can give it all a good clean out and look for where the water is getting in.

Anyone got tips for getting stubborn wiper arms off?

Inked
10-01-2008, 03:57 PM
Well finally got the wiper arms off the trick seems to be pushing down near the hinge.
I got under the scuttle and sealed up the wiring harness box thing and the bonnet release cable, i waited for that to dry and did a leak test.
Water was still getting in via the box, so i got right up under the dash and sealed it from the inside, total nightmare doing that. My trusty maglite/burglar smasher served me well. Should be able to get the wadding and carpets in tomorrow gladly and i am sorted.

jgvw
15-01-2008, 08:52 PM
My mk4 suffered with the same prob and it was the windscreen bonding that was to blame.Found this because my screen was cracked half way up and when I had it replaced the water problem ceased