PDA

View Full Version : Driver Information System fault?

mr_brightside
07-01-2008, 02:04 PM
Hi

On my 2001 A6 2.4 V6 the front brake pads worn symbol is continually lit up on the DIS.

I checked the brake pads myself back in November 2007 and compared them to some new pads I already had in case they needed replacing. There was plenty of life left in them, I would suggest not even half worn. I am satisfied that there is no need to replace them.

The light came on during a particuarly cold snap, and the freezing weather has played mischief before with the electrics at times.

I will check the pads myself again, if they need replacing of course I will replace but if they are no where near the wire to complete the circuit then I will not replace or is it not as simple as that?

If they are (or are not) to be replaced how do I re-set the DIS?

Many thanks
M

lonky
07-01-2008, 02:45 PM
For brakes the DIS automatically resets when it does not see the fault.

If you have the yellow brake pad wear symbol on then this is either pad wear - approx less than 4mm, or a break in the circuit. Possible a bad connection where the pads plug in.

If you have the red brake pad wear symbol this is fluid level, though mine comes on after heavy rain, or frost. Not sure where the water ingress is, as no sign of water in the car and the famous drain hole under the battery is clear !

mr_brightside
07-01-2008, 04:13 PM
Hi
It is the yellow symbol. I'll check the pads again at the weekend.

Thankyou for your earlier email.

Niall76
07-01-2008, 05:27 PM
Check the wire - mine broke and the symbol really started to annoy me....

paul b
07-01-2008, 10:44 PM
Just in agreement with Niall, often the ABS wires get caught up or corroded. Just check they are not wrapped round any of the brake/suspension systems and check the wire isn't corroded as far as you can see.
Paul

swalker
10-10-2018, 12:55 PM
i have this same fault - the rears were thin about 4mm so changed these but no sensor wires- guessing wear is detected through the EPB? fronts are approx 10mm changed them last year and can touch pad material without squeezing my finger...

I used OBDeleven app open close and test function is there a specific function to reset the lights for rear pads?

Thanks

dan2485
10-10-2018, 05:14 PM
Check the wiring at the sensor plugs as they tend to snap there.