PDA

View Full Version : Steering Noise

1993 Coupe
07-01-2008, 02:03 PM
Hi.
I have a 1993 16v Coupe and it has developed the most anoyying noise when steering (stationary and moving)

The noise can be heard inside the car and out when you listen to the wheels.

The power steering fluid is full and i cant feal any vibration through the wheel when turning.

I had the strut top mount replaced at £56 and it has done nothing.

Dont want to spend a fortune putting it in a garage so if anyone has any ideas it would be a massive help!

Thankyou in advance.

kernowk
07-01-2008, 07:45 PM
have you checked the power steering pump? mine occaisionally makes whirring grindy noises and I checked it today to find out that the pulley bearings have had it and she's leaking a bit of fluid presumably cavitating the pump.:(

1993 Coupe
07-01-2008, 08:18 PM
I havnt not really sure what im looking for?
i will consult my haynes manual.
It sounds like a groany noise almost like dry rubber??
thought it might of been a bush or something??

1993 Coupe
07-01-2008, 09:08 PM
Dont know if this has something to do with it but there is alot of fan belt noise, squeeling almost constantly.

Could it be that the belt is too loose? and that the pump isnt working properly because of it??

scotty33
08-01-2008, 12:12 AM
Yes loose belt could cause some noise and you may notice the steering is a bit heavy? I have heard of the steering damper being the cause of groaning noises, if the belt does not fix it, you could try disconnecting the damper? It's attached to the rack at the passenger side.

1993 Coupe
08-01-2008, 09:24 AM
It seams to be ok when the car is cold but once its warmed up a bit the noise begins and the steering is a bit heavy yes especially when parking etc...

Thanks for the help.

Any advise on what to do when a garage charges you £56 to fix a fault which was never their!!??

scotty33
08-01-2008, 09:17 PM
Without knowing the details, it's only fair that you let the garage know there is a problem, if they are not forthcoming try trading standards?

1993 Coupe
09-01-2008, 09:32 AM
They said that the strut top mount needed replacing and thats that.
It didnt solve the problem it whent in for though.

I believe a strut top mount going would cause i knocking noise and in the 7 months ive owned the car ive never heard it!!

Any ways i cant find the fault myself, had a look at the fluid its full,
Belts feal tight enough no excessive play.

Im not confident enough in my abilities to start pulling the dash apart to get to the stearing rack so its back to the garage tommorrow
(not the one i got ripped off buy)

Hopefully it wont be too expensive ive not had much luck with this car.

After three weeks the timing belt tensioner sheered and it was a £700 engine rebuild.