PDA

View Full Version : Multifunction steering wheel - bluetooth?

Trikster
07-01-2008, 11:33 AM
OK, got my Golf turning up in a couple of weeks. It's got the multifunction steering wheel, which if I remember correctly has a 'phone' button on it.

Does anyone know if there are any bluetooth kits which can utilise this button?

Teflon
07-01-2008, 02:59 PM
You can get a Parrot CK3000 handsfree and a Parrot Multican adaptor. Complete with leads it will cost about £100 if you shop around.

It's easy to fit, completely concealed and works seamlessly with the steering wheel buttons. As far as I know, it's the only kit that works with the VW CanBus.

Took me about an hour to fit. Quality is excellent.

Ben
08-01-2008, 12:37 AM
i agree with teflon. Only yesterday was i looking at the images of there on the parrot website.

James OSullivan
03-03-2008, 02:54 PM
Does any one know if the CK3100 will work with the Golf?

Also it seems from the descriptions that the MULTICAN and MULTICOMM will both work also. Is this the case?

Thanks.

Wazza_G
03-03-2008, 08:14 PM
I'd love to know where on earth you can get a Parrot Bluetooth & Multican for £100, not forgetting that you then need to pay for fitting on top.

The cheapest I can find it for a CK3000 is £61 and the same for the Multican, that makes £120 + fitting.

Now if you're upto it & you know what you're doing you maybe able to fit it yourself, but I for one am not technically minded, probably along with 95% of other people here, so we have to pay for someone to fit it at least £50...

So it's not cheap!

TurboBob
01-04-2008, 01:17 AM
I've got the CK3100 (Widescreen LCD) fitted with the CAN-BUS (Parrot Multican) adaptor. Works a treat. (Kind of) I can make calls using the voice recognition on the phone (or Parrot) controlled from the "phone" button on the steering wheel, but I just can't scroll through the address book unless I rotate the dial on the CK3100 itself. Hmmm.

James OSullivan
01-04-2008, 09:45 AM
I've got the CK3100 (Widescreen LCD) fitted with the CAN-BUS (Parrot Multican) adaptor. Works a treat. (Kind of) I can make calls using the voice recognition on the phone (or Parrot) controlled from the "phone" button on the steering wheel, but I just can't scroll through the address book unless I rotate the dial on the CK3100 itself. Hmmm.
TurboBob

Can you answer and end incoming calls with the buttons on the steering wheel too or not?

Thanks, James.

Pickled Piper
05-04-2008, 05:11 PM
Hi i fitted the basic Parrot kit with the appropriate Multican interface to our Golf last week. It works really well. You can answer and terminate calls from the steering wheel controls.

The basic Parrot kit doesn't have a display and since it is all operated from the existing steering wheel controls there is nothing visible in the car with the exception of the microphone.

pp

TurboBob
07-04-2008, 12:54 PM
TurboBob

Can you answer and end incoming calls with the buttons on the steering wheel too or not?

Thanks, James.

Yes, I can answer and end the calls via the steering wheel "phone" button. I can make calls by pressing the same phone button on the steering wheel and then, using either the voice recognition on the Parrot or the voice recognition on the handset (option Phone/Hanset in parrot menu), I can speak the contact into the mic and it dials it automatically. Remember to record your voice for the contacts/numbers you want to be able to voice dial. The problem I have is that the steering wheel only activates the voice dial function, it doesn't allow me to opt out of voice dial and use Address Book scrolling.

sutty123
03-07-2008, 12:12 AM
Hi Turbobob,

With the Parrot kit, can you scroll through your address book using the right stalk rocker switch? (not sure if you have this on the passat)

richard@thebrae
27-01-2009, 12:44 PM
Hi i have read the posts on this unit, and as I already have the kit (a ck3100) which worked well in my 2001 Passat, I wish to adapt it for my new Golf V match with highline control and single button phone MFSW.
Been on the Parrot sight, and seen the install diags, and this is where I would like help :- The connections to the Can Bus Is this being picked up by the Radio Plugs, or is there a socket or something under the dash to plug into for Can Bus connections, or is done some other way ?
I would appreciate some help and support on this, and I am not keen on any scotchblock connecting.
Regards Richard

Teflon
27-01-2009, 04:09 PM
Hi i have read the posts on this unit, and as I already have the kit (a ck3100) which worked well in my 2001 Passat, I wish to adapt it for my new Golf V match with highline control and single button phone MFSW.
Been on the Parrot sight, and seen the install diags, and this is where I would like help :- The connections to the Can Bus Is this being picked up by the Radio Plugs, or is there a socket or something under the dash to plug into for Can Bus connections, or is done some other way ?
I would appreciate some help and support on this, and I am not keen on any scotchblock connecting.
Regards RichardIf you check out the VW wiring diagram, two of the connectors in the quadblok to the radio are CanBus+ and CAnBus-. You simply connect the multican to these. If you are brave, you can just scotchblock into the original cables, but I bought an Autoleads quadblock to quadblok extension cable and made all the connections into that. That way, there is no messing about with the original wiring and if there is a problem you can return everything to the way it was. Note that you also need a switched live supply, which you cannot get from the back of the radio but can take from either the cigar lighter socket or directly from a fused spur in the fuse box.

Teflon
27-01-2009, 04:14 PM
I'd love to know where on earth you can get a Parrot Bluetooth & Multican for £100, not forgetting that you then need to pay for fitting on top.
The cheapest I can find it for a CK3000 is £61 and the same for the Multican, that makes £120 + fitting.
Now if you're upto it & you know what you're doing you maybe able to fit it yourself, but I for one am not technically minded, probably along with 95% of other people here, so we have to pay for someone to fit it at least £50...

So it's not cheap!Took a quick look on EBay today. You can get them for £57+£37 (including postage). Look a bit wider afield and you can beat those prices. It's not rocket science to fit, but if you need professional work it will cost you money, no matter what kit you choose.

Cheap? I've got £575 of factory fitted premium bluetooth rubbish on the Passat. It won't work with any phone that isn't a Nokia. Now that ain't cheap or good!

richard@thebrae
27-01-2009, 06:07 PM
Thanks for your reply, the Q/lock to Q/lock is a good idea. My ck3100 worked brilliant on my Passat, the voice dialling was almost Perfect.
As the 2001/Passat was ISO connecters I have to use an adapter anyway, and so I might get away with scotch locking in here for the CanBus.
I am not unfamiliar with the job, but very wary of messing about with a CanBus system,
Other jobs coming up is Parking sensors, Towbar, and an rns 510 satnav.
Parrot system will be 1st.
Is there plenty room down the back of the Radio for all the bits asociated with the Parrot + Multcan ?
Please give your opinion. Thanks Richard

Teflon
28-01-2009, 11:57 AM
It's a little tight for space but there is plenty of room behind and on top of the glove box, also down behind the climate controls. If you go for the quadlok-quadlock leads they are quite long, so there is plenty of spare cable to allow you to tuck stuff away.

richard@thebrae
28-01-2009, 09:47 PM
OK I have ordered the MultiCan and Adapter, Trim Tools and getting set to do the job when it all arrives. Where did you site the Parrot LED unit, and any chance of a pic? Thanks Richard

Teflon
29-01-2009, 01:52 PM
OK I have ordered the MultiCan and Adapter, Trim Tools and getting set to do the job when it all arrives. Where did you site the Parrot LED unit, and any chance of a pic? Thanks Richard
I bought the CK3000, which means you can do without the little control knob and buttons completely. You can use voice dialling from the steering wheel buttons (if the phone supports VD) and all of the bluetooth kit is completely hidden. If you use the CK3100 the cable to it is small enough diameter for you to be able to sqeeze between trim and make a pretty decent job of mounting it pretty much where you think it looks best.

For the install, there is an awful lot of coloured wire to play with, which could easily become a bit of a rats nest. My top top is to use the QLok/QLok lead and make up all the connections on the bench then cable tie & tape them up to get something nice and neat that just plugs in. That way the times spent with the dashboard in pieces is only about 15 mins.

TurboBob
21-02-2009, 08:37 AM
The connections to the Can Bus

Richard - Apologies in taking time to respond - the CANbus connections for the Parrot I fitted were on the rear of the radio unit. For me, identifying them was easy using the diagram on the RCD500 radio and seeing that there were cables already coming from those terminals. It was a while ago, but I do remember that when I connected the Parrot Adaptor to the CANbus, the indicator on the Parrot adaptor just permanently blinked and did not function - until the CANbus+ and CANbus- wires were reversed! The adaptor had little printed idents on each wire - guess it was 50/50 they'd manage to stick em to the right wires!

There's also another connection point for the CANbus in the area of the fusebox below steering wheel level. I used this connection point for the CANbus trailer adaptor for the towbar which I fitted.

richard@thebrae
21-02-2009, 09:18 AM
Thankyou for your response, and the info for the trailer connections is very helpfull. Regards Richard

TurboBob
11-09-2009, 07:17 PM
Sutty,
I don't have a right stalk rocker switch on the Golf. The steering wheel is a multi-function one, so this is probably why the stalk button isn't there. Intead, even using the UP/DOWN buttons on the steering wheel doesn't scroll through the address book. One thing to remember is that if you PAIR a new phone with the Parrot, then you have to re-record all the voice commands which is a bit of a pain. Live and learn!

mjom89
12-09-2009, 10:33 AM
I have the CK3200 parrot and a MFSW with the phone button. Could i get the lead to make it work? I havent read that anyone has done it with the CK3200 yet?

titian
25-01-2010, 02:06 PM
Hi, needing help with the multican. Fitted it yesterday with the CK3100 and adaptor loom. All working great ( apart from airbag fault light and disassembled air vents- dont ask) but the phone button on steering wheel still does not work . The parrot works fine using the buttons on the display. In fact it's as though the multican isn't there at all. Also , how di I get the airbag faulty light to go off? I may

Teflon
28-01-2010, 01:30 PM
Sorry to say this, but it sounds like it's not connected correctly. What adapter lead did you use? The universal Quadlock leads that some people sell work for Fords and BMWs but not for Volkswagen, they need to be tweaked a little.

You need to confirm that you have a permannet live and a switched live feed and that the CANhigh and CANlow leads are connected to the correct pins on the harness going into the radio.

As for the Airbag light, it's either a trip to a dealer or you need to find someone with a VAGcom to reset it. Common problem if you unplug the sensor when pulling the radio, always leave it dangling on the end of the lead.

titian
29-01-2010, 12:42 AM
Sorry to say this, but it sounds like it's not connected correctly. What adapter lead did you use? The universal Quadlock leads that some people sell work for Fords and BMWs but not for Volkswagen, they need to be tweaked a little.

You need to confirm that you have a permannet live and a switched live feed and that the CANhigh and CANlow leads are connected to the correct pins on the harness going into the radio.

As for the Airbag light, it's either a trip to a dealer or you need to find someone with a VAGcom to reset it. Common problem if you unplug the sensor when pulling the radio, always leave it dangling on the end of the lead.

Yeah I was going to attack it again this weekend. I noticed someone on this thread had a problem where the can wires were reversed , so will try that after checking the light on the multican.
This was the lead I bought VW Toureg, Transporter Parrot Harness SOT Lead SOT-976 (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350224139027&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOIBSA:GB:1123)

richard@thebrae
29-01-2010, 08:27 AM
I had problems with my Parrot system and the working of a Parrot Multican. I tweeked the wiring as required the led indicators said all was well, but the MFSW Buttons were not consistant.
Contacted Parrot Tech Help (very good people) and found out that there is software /mismatches with Multicans and certain Canbus controllers on VW, there is a fix but you need your Multican details and your central controller details for Parrot to help you.
I gave up and changed the radio to a built in Blutooth system in the end.

titian
29-01-2010, 11:32 AM
I had problems with my Parrot system and the working of a Parrot Multican. I tweeked the wiring as required the led indicators said all was well, but the MFSW Buttons were not consistant.
Contacted Parrot Tech Help (very good people) and found out that there is software /mismatches with Multicans and certain Canbus controllers on VW, there is a fix but you need your Multican details and your central controller details for Parrot to help you.
I gave up and changed the radio to a built in Blutooth system in the end.

Thanks (I think) Richard for that . I saw your posts on another forum, which I have to say didn't fill me with confidence, my only glimmer of hope being that you have a newer mkv golf than I. Mine is a May 2007 model. My button just isn't working at all so I'm hoping it may just be my wiring.
So if there was a fix I take it it didn't work for you?
Which bluetooth radio did you fit ? I have thought about it though I do have the factory fitted external ipod dock which I wouldn't like to give up.

Teflon
30-01-2010, 07:09 PM
I can confirm that the MultiCAN works on (at least some) June 2007 models, that's what I fitted it on.

Before you chuck it out, check all the wiring from the adaptor to the pin outs on the back of the radio are correct. I know this sounds a pain, but the Autoleads adapter I bought wasn't correct and I needed to fiddle with it a bit.

titian
30-01-2010, 11:24 PM
I can confirm that the MultiCAN works on (at least some) June 2007 models, that's what I fitted it on.

Before you chuck it out, check all the wiring from the adaptor to the pin outs on the back of the radio are correct. I know this sounds a pain, but the Autoleads adapter I bought wasn't correct and I needed to fiddle with it a bit.

Hi, thanks Stuart for your response.
I had the multican out again today and the green led definitely on . The 2 can bus wires are on the correct pins. In fact I actually got it working for making an outgoing call the first time the ignition is switched on . It wont however end the call or answer an incoming call.
Does it sound faulty or maybe in need of a s/w update?

richard@thebrae
31-01-2010, 07:02 PM
Hi, thanks Stuart for your response.
I had the multican out again today and the green led definitely on . The 2 can bus wires are on the correct pins. In fact I actually got it working for making an outgoing call the first time the ignition is switched on . It wont however end the call or answer an incoming call.
Does it sound faulty or maybe in need of a s/w update?
Hi Further to my last reply and a come back to your further questions this is exactly the behaviour I was exsperiancing and so I gave up and moved to a chinese mutifunction unit which works ok for me, but some people have bad luck with them.
A safe bet is the zenec 2000 @ around £500 or the 2010 if you have £900.
http://www.caraudiocentre.co.uk/product_m-ze-nc2010-original-looks-6-5-inch-monitor-and-sat-nav-for-vw-seat_p-23719.htm

shark_90
31-01-2010, 09:20 PM
Or fit the OE Bluetooth kit? We offer them which gives full control via the MFSW and text on the MFD.

titian
01-02-2010, 01:14 PM
Or fit the OE Bluetooth kit? We offer them which gives full control via the MFSW and text on the MFD.
More info please, is there anything visible , voice dial only ? , how much ? etc. What make is it ?

titian
05-02-2010, 01:03 PM
Got this reply from Parrot regarding my query:
Hi Iain,

Thank you for your enquiry at Parrot UK.

I’m not aware of any problems however there are a couple points with regards to the installation that can cause this behavior:

On the Multican unit when connecting to CAN BUS the Multican unit will generate an ignition supply for the Parrot CK3100 so it is vital that a separate ignition feed is not supplied to the CK3100. If this has been done then the Multican will need to be reset once this has been changed.

Also ensure that the Red wire on both units is connected to a 12 volt permanent supply.

Please ensure all mutes are connected to each product and the radio.

Reset procedure:

All connections made to the unit and installation completed

? Ignition Off – wait until the LED goes out on the Multican

? Press and hold the reset button until the LED lights GREEN then goes out, release the button

? LED will flash RED to advise its learning the CAN protocol of your car.

? Turn Ignition on and LED should go GREEN to confirm CAN protocol is learnt.

Kind regards

Carl Bridgwood
Technical & User support Officer
UK & Ireland

richard@thebrae
05-02-2010, 04:43 PM
Which is no more than the installation set up which I am sure you have got correct as I had.
The tec guys def. advised me about the multican/can gateway mismatches, took the serial No. from me and confirmed it could be problematic with my golf 5 due to its software issue date.
By this time I had enough and sold on my parrot 3100 and returned the multican for a refund.

titian
05-02-2010, 05:15 PM
Last go this weekend , and if no joy then I'll be taking the same action, and continuing to use the bt headset which worked fine anyway.

titian
22-02-2010, 01:28 PM
Which is no more than the installation set up which I am sure you have got correct as I had.
The tec guys def. advised me about the multican/can gateway mismatches, took the serial No. from me and confirmed it could be problematic with my golf 5 due to its software issue date.
By this time I had enough and sold on my parrot 3100 and returned the multican for a refund.
Where did you buy your multican. I bought mine from blueunplugged and they are refusing to give me a refund because it has been installed/used. How can you know it doesn't work unless you install it ? This one's not over !

richard@thebrae
22-02-2010, 11:07 PM
IT was from an Ebayer who had a returns policy, they were were very quick and hassle free. I returned it as faulty and not working.