PDA

View Full Version : Soggy Mk1 -> Project???

Muddy_porcupine
07-01-2008, 11:03 AM
Hi all, new here! Looking for a bit of help with a notion i'v just had!

Got an old 5dr Mk1 golf sitting around that has been completly flooded, been underwater over its roof!!

The big question is about the engine as i think the best route would be a total replacement, are they easy to find? What sort shall i chuck in?

All i know is at the mo its a NA Deisel with a 4 speed manual.

We have had the head off and free'd it off as it was totaly Hydrolocked but even if i get it running, it prob wont be that great!

The rest of the car is surprisingly not too bad, it will clean up, the electrics will probobly need a play about with but when we shoved a battery in it, everything did light up as it should do!

What does everyone reckon, is it worth trying to find an engine for it? Is it worth doing or is it a scrapper (not convinced it is!)

Either that or, any offers?!?! Based west of edinburgh?!!?!! :D

Thanks, Muddy

mr brightside
17-01-2008, 09:50 PM
if the car's structurally sound it's worth sorting the engine out, if you want to get rid pop it on ebay and it'll cirtainly go spares or repair.

onzarob
17-01-2008, 11:47 PM
It will probably start, but i would make sure there is no water int the bores or you will break it, I seen 1 person fit a 1.9tdi engine to a MK1 golf;)

What year is the car and what is the body work like?

Muddy_porcupine
18-01-2008, 12:13 PM
Na, we've had the head off and got the water out and freed the engine off (we know about water in engines- into landrovers and do plenty offroading! lol!) But im having trouble getting it all back on, timing belt is giving me hassle getting back on right coz cant find a tensioner, havnt been back at it for a few months tho so will maybe get back on it when i find some shed space!

Saying that tho, it might end up on ebay, the number on it is worth money but cant come off until it has an MOT , Its an old x reg with the first 3 letters reading EGG!

Body isnt too bad, paint has flaked off along the sills and wheelarches a bit but its all pretty solid, the way its looking, you'll probobly see it on ebay soon as i dont really have the funds/time to resurect it myself! Bit of a shame but my 10yr old Landrover keeps munching the funds!!!