PDA

View Full Version : Diesel T4's to be charged £100/day in london LEZ

M745AEV
06-01-2008, 11:32 PM
Dear All, Has any other owner of a VW T4 with the 2.4 diesel engine discovered that they must pay £100 PER DAY to drive in the London Low Emission Zone (which means anywhere in Greater London, not just the congestion charge zone) from October 2010? I discovered last Thursday after someone at work joked about it, and I tried entering my registration number (M745 AEV) on the TfL website vehicle check tool. Being quite incredulous, I contacted TfL and got an immediate reply confirming this result. My last VW was a 1600 petrol T2 camper, which I had from 1983 to 1998 (when it was 20 years old), when I bought my current SWB T4 Caravelle. I was planning to keep it another 3 years at least, possibly up to 5 years, until my 4 children leave home, then downsize, but it now seems I will have to dispose of it for scrap in less than 3 years, because of this stupid legislation. It averages about 35 miles per gallon, and takes all 6 of us, usually plus a friend or 2 on family holidays etc, making the emissions per passenger mile about half of what most people get.

Diamond Hell
08-01-2008, 09:45 AM
This is an exceptionally complex subject and one that isn't fully bolted down yet. A guy called Stephen has spent a lot of time and effort looking into it and the relevant discussion is all here (http://domain1648967.sites.fasthosts.com/showthread.php?t=547)

There's no way I'm going to regurgitate it all on here as I really don't care about it as I drive a petrol T4 and live in the West Country.

The message is quite clear, to be honest - get out of London, have less things to worry about and enjoy a better quality of life.