PDA

View Full Version : Golf IV TDi Fuse Problem

Jon I
12-10-2006, 05:52 PM
Hi All

I need some pointers on a odd problem, my car is a 2000-2001 ajm tdi golf, i had a maf go down so i replaced it, which cured the power loss problem i had, but after replacing the maf and driving about 100 motorway miles in one journey a 10 amp fuse for the ECU popped, it has continued to blow every replacement i have used, and the problem is becoming worse in that it now blows a new fuse after approx 5 miles, any help and info would be much appreciated.
:1zhelp:

Boardboy
12-10-2006, 09:50 PM
Hi Is the Mass Air Flow sensor the correct one. i.e part number the same ?
Something is drawing a lot of current to keep popping the fuses.
Regards Boardboy

Jon I
13-10-2006, 08:39 PM
Thanks for the quick reply Boardboy, the maf is from euro car parts and is the more expensive bosch part, i aslo though this might be the problem and i have also tried a new cheaper maf from euro parts as a gamble, this didn't work as the fuse problem still remains, i have tried to get hold of wiring diagrams for the car but i haven't had any luck so far, haynes manuals don't cover the circuits i think i need to look at, any suggestions would be most helpful. Thanks

Boardboy
13-10-2006, 11:23 PM
Have alook around the looms in the engine bay for any chaffed wires. May be near the MAF. Also check the earth cables from the engine to the chassis. See if where they attach is clean and not corroded. Is the fuse blowing almost straight away now or is it still at about 5 miles?
I have a friend who has a TDI and an aircraft electrician!! I'll bounce this off him to see what he thinks.

Regards Boardboy

Jon I
16-10-2006, 08:54 AM
I will have a look around the looms and see what i can find, the fuse still blows but anywhere between 1 and 5 miles, very random and very annoying.

Boardboy
18-10-2006, 09:16 PM
I see what you mean at about the wiring in the manual. My friend thought the same about the MAF but as you've changed it we can count that out.
The ECU is up under the front scuttle panel did you look at the looms there also? Doe's everything else on the car operatre OK? All the other fuses good ,including the ones on top of the battery?
Boardboy

Jon I
19-10-2006, 03:38 PM
Thanks for the ideas, i will have a look around the ecu connections, everything else is working fine, just this troublesome fuse,i have managed to find a wiring diagram in the earlier haynes manual for the golfs upto 2000, it doesn't cover the ajm engine but it might give me a few pointers on wiring colour codes, i will let you know how i get on after the weekend.