PDA

View Full Version : Turbo problem!? And type

layerz
06-01-2008, 08:53 PM
Guys,

I have got a problem with my tubro in that I seem to be getting no boost so I am assuming that the turbo is shot.
I get constant black smoke and on the odd occasion I get a bit of boost.

What turbo was fitted to the 110 afn engine? And how much are they to replace.

Many thanks, Lewis

Crasher
06-01-2008, 08:56 PM
A genuine exchange Audi unit is £724.61 inc. VAT for an early 1999 A4 AFN. The advantage of an Audi exchange unit is the two year labour inclusive warranty that applies even if you fit it.

layerz
06-01-2008, 08:58 PM
Ack, I don't think I will be going for that. Crasher do you know what turbo's are stock/ would fit?

Is it possible to drop in a pd tdi 130 unit into a b5?

Crasher
06-01-2008, 09:00 PM
I only fit genuine VAG direct replacement units.

layerz
06-01-2008, 09:02 PM
Anyone else with any other input on the turbo make/model?

passat>sport
06-01-2008, 09:37 PM
I bet you've got some kind of vnt/actuator/vacuum/n75 fault.

And the turbo is ok.

(9 times out of ten a faulty turbo means smoke,smoke,smoke, and not the black stuff.

whiteish blueish that lingers like hell!

layerz
06-01-2008, 09:52 PM
I forgot to add at the top that I had a head gasket failure as a result of the oil cooler going pop!
I did not know when it overheated if I would of killed the turbo in the process. But could this of done the n75 valve?

It was just after the repair that I get no boost. I can still hit 80ish but takes a long time to get there.

Crasher
06-01-2008, 09:55 PM
Leaking oil coolers don't make the head gasket fail.

layerz
06-01-2008, 09:57 PM
Leaking oil coolers don't make the head gasket fail.

I can't remember the exact reason but it was the water jacket around the oil cooler or something had gone. This in turn made the head go.

Sorry I can not remember in any more detail.

Crasher
06-01-2008, 10:00 PM
I can't see that happening unless you end up with a severe overheating situation due to the water being completely contaminated with oil. Which went first, cooler or gasket?

passat>sport
06-01-2008, 10:05 PM
It was just after the repair that I get no boost. I can still hit 80ish but takes a long time to get there.

Driving round at 80 with a blown turbo?

I very much doubt it's blown!

Have you looked at it at all?

layerz
06-01-2008, 10:05 PM
Not to sure that is another story as I had a slow coolant leak so guess is the cooler.

But the garage screwed up to say the least as the head went twice due to them not testing the oil cooler the first time. Amazingly the second time the head passed the crack test.

Crasher I think I would put it down to the oil cooler going as the oil ran into the coolant system big time when it went the second time. The first time it happened I got it recovered by the AA straight away, the second time it was run a bit longer due to where I was at the time.

Does this give you any more idea to the turbo? As I have just been looking through previous threads and it does seem to be the n75 vavle or Maf sensor as the most common problem.

I will try to dig out my vagcom and lead I think.

passat>sport
06-01-2008, 10:15 PM
I would put my money on the vnt is partly clogged or the vnt actuator rod is sticking or not getting full travel!

layerz
06-01-2008, 10:18 PM
I kinda had a feeling something was stuck, how is this sorted is it a turbo off job?

Its a pain being on a such a step learning curve with cars at times.

passat>sport
06-01-2008, 10:28 PM
I could be here all day talking you through the things to do.

Best to do what crasher said and get some fault codes via-vagcom.

Things to get on with for now.

Unplug the maf to see if it goes better. (if it does it's the maf)

Get a mityvac to suck on the pipe that plugs into the vnt actuator to see if it is moving! If not disconnect the rod from vnt lever and try it that way.

I'm pretty new to this site, I'm sure there is a search somewhere that you can do.

layerz
06-01-2008, 10:31 PM
I have but the only thread I found, the guy gave up as he got rear ended.

I will try the maf disconection in the morning. And try run vagcom tomorrow night as and when I find the lead.

Btw thanks for the responses and help so far.

Edit:

The thing that has had me stumped regardless of the outcome, why would it do this after the failure of the head gasket? Could it in any way be related or just pure bad luck?

passat>sport
06-01-2008, 10:40 PM
So the head gasket has been done then?

It could well be a pipe that has not been put back correct. (vacuum pipe)

EGR valve pipe and actuator pipe mixed up maybe? :confused:

layerz
06-01-2008, 10:42 PM
I might put it in with a mechanic to check during the week tbh. Only time I will get is next weekend and I don't know how the original pipe layout should be. But would be a bit miffed if it was just the n75 or maf......

I won't be putting it back to the same garage again anyway.

passat>sport
06-01-2008, 10:51 PM
Start the car and and get a mate to rev it up some while you watch the actuator rod to see if it is moving.

Believe it or not a vacuum pipe not plugged in or plugged into the wrong place will cause a no boost situation.

docurley
07-01-2008, 02:22 PM
I agree it does not sound like a Turbo as you would have lots of white smoke so have a look at the things Passat>Sport suggested may save you a whole load of money.

layerz
07-01-2008, 03:43 PM
OK I am gona get some pictures on my digitcal camera tomorrow at lunch and post them in high resolution.

The pipes from the n75 look as if they have seen better days so I may replace these anyway, I can not get the MAF sensor off as it apears the catch is snapped (oh joy) but I doubt that it is the maf atm.

All hoses/pipes seem to be connected and oddly enough I felt a bit more boost in 1st and 2nd today, but under hard acceration there is lots of black smoke and then only a bit of acceration in 3rd. 4th and 5th are very very slow but will hit 85 eventually.
I think I can see the actuator rod going to turbo, will get someone to help me test it later/tomorrow morning.

Just a quickie if it is the actuator rod how do I go about sorting this?

passat>sport
07-01-2008, 04:05 PM
Just a quickie if it is the actuator rod how do I go about sorting this?

The actuator rod not moving dosn't mean it is the actuator at fault! This is just the starting point.

See if it is moving first though.

Think of that song ,the knee bones connected to the leg bone the leg bone....

It still gives me an headache all this vnt/actuator talk :biglaugh:

passat>sport
07-01-2008, 04:43 PM
Why not go to the search and type "limp mode"

There is lots of talk about the problems you may or may not be having. You will understand how it all works then.

I've sent you a pm.

mrjolly
07-01-2008, 09:17 PM
boost hose leak? ecu is seeing boost and fuelling but the air aint getting into engine to burn said fuel?

layerz
07-01-2008, 10:08 PM
OK not had the chance to check the actuator but will be checking it first thing in the morning with some help from an assistant :D

Untill then I took some pictures of the engine bay and turbo etc..... Just incase my lack of experiance is missing stuff.

General engine bay
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c184/layerz/audi/generaloverall.jpg

Second overview
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c184/layerz/audi/generalover.jpg

EGR overview
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c184/layerz/audi/egrover.jpg

Turbo overview
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c184/layerz/audi/turboover.jpg

Turbo overview angle 2
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c184/layerz/audi/tubrooverangle2.jpg

N75 overview
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c184/layerz/audi/n75valveover.jpg

N75 closeup
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c184/layerz/audi/n75valeclose.jpg

Maf connector
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c184/layerz/audi/mafbust.jpg

7 Megapixel versions are available if anyone wants true close ups.

Thanks, Lewis

mrjolly
07-01-2008, 10:53 PM
dude. if this fault happened after a garage repair . take it back!

layerz
07-01-2008, 10:54 PM
I cant afford the time off work I am afriad I work 35 miles away and I do not trust the garage to touch the car again as I had quite the fight with them last time.

passat>sport
07-01-2008, 11:02 PM
Pipes look in the right place that I can see. (need replacing though) wouldn't be suprised if they had pin ***** holes.

Your best getting it plugged into some diagnostics! (vagcom)

I bet theres a code to indicate the problem if the garage has indeed done something wrong.

mrjolly
07-01-2008, 11:04 PM
nightmare! oh well. i recon theyve put summot on wrong either a vacuum pipe or boost hose. if i were you i would get a meter of that braided hose and replace as much of it as you can see as some of yours look ropey, and i would get in your car somewhere quiet and drive with the window open and listen for a woosh sort of noise, you probably know what your turbo sounds like when you drive listen for any other noises. woosh is a loose or bust boost hose, just a suggestion seeing as it has all been disturbed. i dont recon your turbo is nackered cos you are getting black smoke which as i said b4 suggests that you are making boost and the car is fuelling to suit.
the other thing which might make sense is pump timing?

layerz
08-01-2008, 03:52 PM
OK reved and obsrved the actuator rod and it did not appear to move at all.

Crasher
08-01-2008, 05:21 PM
You can only do this properly using a hand vacuum pump.

passat>sport
08-01-2008, 05:22 PM
OK reved and obsrved the actuator rod and it did not appear to move at all

You need a mityvac to check the actuator/vnt to make sure both are moving freely, You can check the vnt with a pry bar /screwdriver for movement but you still need a mity to check the actuator.

There will be a code logged in the ecu just waiting to point you in the right direction!

Don't you know anybody with a vag -com?

You really need to get someone that knows these cars, from what you've said the garage hasn't done something right. So folk can really guess untill the cows come home. VNT/actuator,N75, pipes,wiring,something not plugged in.

Get some fault codes and the whole web-site will be jumping in! ;)

layerz
08-01-2008, 06:59 PM
I have got vag com somewhere, I will dig out my cable or get a new one.

Will try find it and post later on tonight as I need a new copy of vag com as I wiped my system

layerz
08-01-2008, 08:48 PM
OK found the lead, what version of vag-com should I be using again? (USB LEAD)

And do I just run the fault codes?

passat>sport
08-01-2008, 08:57 PM
Is it a cheap e-bay interface or ross-tech one? 409 or 311 for the cheap one.

layerz
08-01-2008, 08:59 PM
erm think I want 311 then, althou I got a working 409 copy it has no usb option.

passat>sport
08-01-2008, 09:11 PM
http://scantool.imechatronics.com/vagcom_kkl_usb_interface.htm

The driver for the usb to use 409.

layerz
08-01-2008, 09:36 PM
OK impressed I got it working last time vag com took me an afternoon of messing with.

Giving you the print screen as wont copy as text only I am afriad.

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c184/layerz/carprint.jpg

passat>sport
08-01-2008, 09:41 PM
00575 indicates vnt/actuator sticking maf sensor, n75 valve,vacuum leak.

00519 As above plus valve timing.

00542 needle lift sensor, wiring on the sensor itself is faulty! (injector number 3 with the wire connected)

00527 intake air temperture.

It coud be a mixture of bad timing (when the gasket was done) and or what we've been talking about.

The codes need to be cleared and done again.

BTW, 00542 and the timing not correct causes lots of black sooty smoke.

layerz
08-01-2008, 10:32 PM
OK I will try and get vag com working but I dont like the sound of all that. Especially on injector no 3 as I wonder how much a replacement wire is.

Crasher
09-01-2008, 11:49 AM
It means a new injector.

passat>sport
09-01-2008, 01:50 PM
I,ve just been reading and you can check to see if the injector is ok by checking the resistance in the plug (injector side) It should be 80-120 ohm's. It may just be a fault with the wiring.

Do not buy anything untill you've cleared the codes and scanned again!

If something has been opened or unplugged with the ignition on, a code will be logged.

Crasher
09-01-2008, 02:47 PM
If something has been opened or unplugged with the ignition on, a code will be logged.

Very sound advice.

layerz
09-01-2008, 05:59 PM
What is the process for clearing the codes in vagcom that is not registered?

Also a brief discription of the other issues the car has an oil leak that is a suspected oil sump gasket failure (how much are these to replace?)

There is still a slow coolant leak that has been an **** to trace.

And these current issues with the turbo problem/injector, is it worth repairing or should I look down a new engine route with a few bolts ons?

layerz
11-01-2008, 06:50 PM
Bump on the above guys.