PDA

View Full Version : Another battery drain issue

g7kse
06-01-2008, 08:23 PM
Hi,

I've had a search round and there seem to be a few posts about drained batteries. So far...

2 new batteries, no issues with them, alternator ok, flat battery within 2 days
I've checked tohe source of the drain, it's the circuit with the MFD, around 1.8Amps happily discharging through a 25Amp fuse. remove the fuse and were down to about 150-200mA

the crapmobile (2000 Bora) has a tracker fitted so the question is...Will it be on the same circuit?

What does it look like?

Where is it likely to be?

help appreciated before I just accept that this is yet another 'feature' of what could have been a good car :confused:

Crasher
06-01-2008, 08:33 PM
You need to find the Tracker and disconnect it. If it is the Tracker, will your opinion of the car improve?

g7kse
06-01-2008, 08:44 PM
thanks for the reply...I'll search out the tracker.

Not sure if my opinion will improve that much seeing as it's been one problem after another with it. When it's working it's a great car as long as you forget about the problems, something goes wrong every couple of months and thats not normal

Crasher
06-01-2008, 08:49 PM
With modern VAG products that isn't normal, it is usually every couple of weeks, not months.

g7kse
06-01-2008, 09:00 PM
my 73 GT Beetle went 2 years without anything going wrong

it's a crying shame that they forgot how to make cars

Crasher
06-01-2008, 09:03 PM
They haven’t forgot how to design, build quality cars, it is all of us as European workers who have made it impossible for them to afford to build cars that last due to our wage, working hour and spending power demands. Literally, we have shot ourselves in the foot! VAG are speculating that after Golf 6 they will not be able to afford to build the Golf in Europe.

g7kse
06-01-2008, 09:48 PM
I don't doubt it but there's no excuse for putting piston rings in the wrong way round...that is just poor workmanship

Crasher
06-01-2008, 10:04 PM
What car was that on?

g7kse
06-01-2008, 10:09 PM
The bora

one of it's features is a massive oil consumption that was more than an old 2 stroke motorbike I had. I tracked it down to a service bulletin for 2 litre petrol engines that had the rings installed the wrong way round, there is a VAG service bulletin to fix it but it's not widely known by my local deal at least as I had to get a copy of it for them.

needless to say the damage has been done but now it consumes a litre every 3000 miles or so instead of 500.

Crasher
07-01-2008, 02:28 PM
Those engines were bulit in South America.

g7kse
07-01-2008, 06:51 PM
And they still have a VAG badge on them.

Loads of VW parts have been made there, quite a lot of beetles had parts from there, some were good and some were dire. i almost bought a beetle from there once!

Crasher
07-01-2008, 07:00 PM
All New Beetles are made in Mexico as are Golf’s and Jetta’s for the US market, arguably the most fussy consumers on the planet.

g7kse
07-01-2008, 07:38 PM
I meant a beetle, as in type 1, kdf wagen etc..not a big fan of the new ones. Too much water cooling going on and the engine in the wrong place, plus there isn't a set of sway away torsion bar adjusters in sight...

getting all nostalgic for bug jam and beetle bash and the one time I did the 1/4 mile at santa pod, I was pretty poor. Got beaten by a camper van with flame throwers in the exhaust

Crasher
07-01-2008, 09:59 PM
Yeh, I knew what you meant, that’s the trouble with text, it doesn’t convey emotions like the spoken word, not unless you are a top author and I'm just a spanner man. My Bug is probably not the type you would approve of, coil springs at the front and an odd 3 speed semi auto box in front of the 1600 twin port, still got a flat screen though-can you guess what it is? A clue, a padded dash and high back seats. Showing my age, I went to Bug Jam 2.

g7kse
08-01-2008, 01:24 PM
being pretty sad myself I'd have a go at a 1302S....In a sort of sunshine yellow. Although I didn't think too many semi autos were over here, saw a late 60's one in california in 1990 and didn't have a clue what it was.

Not sure which bug jam it was that I first went to but it was 1990 and keith Seume had a red split oval that could do a shade over a 10 sec pass. I think it was called outrage or something like that as he had a funny car called outrage two that was quick but not a bug.

All those memories of occasionally warm summer days eating nasty burgers and incidently watching the jet car that Richard Hammond crashed to a very fast 1/4 mile

Crasher
08-01-2008, 02:45 PM
Ohh so close, a 72 1302LS auto (high back seats, padded dash, full carpet, fresh air blower, twin door pockets and ashtrays, lockable glovebox lid and some other bits) but originally in Pastel white, now Alpine white but going back to Pastel soon. Incidentally he is right hand drive but was ordered by an Army chap as he was retiring in 1972 and when it arrived here it was registered as a 73. Caused me a little trouble getting his free road tax but VW gave me a birth certificate. He has an appointment with the acid bath at Surface Processing.

g7kse
09-01-2008, 12:35 PM
I used to have a little matchbox 1302S in sunshine yellow that i lowered with some match sticks. Nothing worse that a beetle that doesn't fill it's arches.

Sounds like a well kept one, and pretty rare as I don't remember seeing that many 1302's anywhere let alone semi auto ones. I could have sworn it would be yellow though.....

It was a sad day when i got rid of mine and I'm still working on the missus to get either a bug or a karmann. Harriet was a GT with a flat screen and padded dash and a velour interior but I put some polo seats in. partly dechrommed and lowered front by 2" and 2 splines at the rear just to fill the arches with a stinger when i was feeling brave otherwise one of those hidden quiet packs. All in original tomatoe red

g7kse
09-01-2008, 12:37 PM
Oh and the crap mobile was flat as you like this morning. It's booked into 'bodge it and scarper' on tuesday but not before the dash gets taken out so I can find that tracker

Crasher
09-01-2008, 02:45 PM
I have even found tracker units in the driver’s door, they can be real fun to find.

g7kse
09-01-2008, 02:49 PM
It's just going to be a knuckle scraping day I reckon, If I knew what it was going to look like then It'd probably be a bit easier.

Crasher
09-01-2008, 03:03 PM
A box with wires going to it :biglaugh:

g7kse
09-01-2008, 03:06 PM
Not looking forward to the extra springy plastic panel clips

Crasher
09-01-2008, 03:13 PM
Extra snappy as well.

g7kse
09-01-2008, 03:38 PM
I'm already missing a few from the boot interior trim panel after the solenoid on the fuel filler cap failed at a bad time. i'll be putting in an order for gross of the them before long I think