PDA

View Full Version : Passat 1996 1.9 Dti Will Not Start ???????any Help Please

kezia
06-01-2008, 08:08 PM
hi :confused::confused::confused::confused:
to make the message short as possible .the car was losing power to start with when driving it , when you put your foot down it was hesitant to go over 70 mile an hour and for some reason for a few minutes it would regain full power as if nothing was wrong and then it would go back to losing power again . its been like this for some months now .an till yesterday i was reversing off the drive and for some reason the car stopped as if the timing belt had snapped it was that sort of feeling .
the fault list that i have done to try and pin point the cause because it will not start no more
the timing belt was done last year by VW done a check on the teeth to see if the belt had jump a tooth ,it seems ok no damage to be seen here .
i took the solenoid out to test it using a 12volt battery to test the inwards plunger and out wards plunger this also seams ok no fault ...

the mass air flow MAF sensor .i can't check this ..

i have undone the injectors to see if fuel is getting through and the fuel pump seams to be working
the car will turn over off the key ok but won't start .and
before trying to start it off the key i get the glow plug light comes on and goes off as normal but when turning over the engine i get some smoke and a strong smell of diesel come out of the exhaust .
can any one help me locate and try and find out what is causing this problem ,
or has any one else had this sort of problem with passat 1996 .PS i this its a 1z engine in mine
any help with thanks

THANKS JILL