PDA

View Full Version : cleaning leather

jimmyflo
06-01-2008, 06:28 PM
When i triedcleaning my leather with autoglym cleaner and conditioner a couple opf months ago it turned blue in places so i stopped. anyone know why this is?

can any one recommedna a good feed or conditioner?

thanks

Crasher
06-01-2008, 06:59 PM
I bought a used 1989 genuine VW full black leather interior for the wife’s Golf 2 and scrubbed the life out of it with Autoglym cleaner and then soaked it with the food. Apart from it not sinking in fully in some areas it was fine, I certainly couldn't have been accused of used the Autoglym food sparingly, I used two bottles on the one interior. I fitted another original interior to a customers Corrado and used Zymöl leather food and apart from it smelling good enough to drink; it didn't seem to make the leather as supple as the Autoglym.

mluton
06-01-2008, 08:00 PM
Baby wipes are good.

MalcQV
07-01-2008, 01:46 PM
I have found www.liquidleather.com to be truly excellent :beerchug:

m4xmw
07-01-2008, 10:34 PM
I use Gliptone gentle leather cleaner, gets my thumbs up and my customers like the results.

I get it from Tim at cleanyourcar

jimmyflo
10-01-2008, 10:47 AM
I used gliptone on it yesterday after having it recommended to me and i am very impressed with the results.

thanks for the replies

MalcQV
10-01-2008, 01:40 PM
I used gliptone on it yesterday after having it recommended to me and i am very impressed with the results.

thanks for the replies
:beerchug:

JR001
14-01-2008, 10:26 PM
Also try to give the leather a damp wipe down first with warm water and MF cloth. Dry it also. Applying the cleaner in these temps - always good to warm the leather first say with low hair drier setting before applying the cleanser. With cleanser applied you will get right into the grooves by gently scrubbing with a brush. Tim at Clean your Car sells these for about £2 also. If the leather is fairly new and has been looked after, you should not really need to use chemical cleaners, but just warm water instead. The feeds mentioned here are good.

Best avoid wipes with various harsh solvents in them. Some also contain alcohol, which like the other harsh chems can dry the material out before time.

Watch out for the argument that people using baby wipes had no adverse reactions from their baby's bottom! They dried out my baby's skin in no time and we couldn't use them regulalry!:D

Kiwi Kranker
25-01-2008, 01:43 PM
Hi guys a newbie here :1zhelp:

Just a further question for this thread, I have a cream leather interior of my new to me A6 and it has a few stains in the leather that need something a little stronger than whats already been mentioned. Do any of you know a strong stain remover that wont completely destroy the leather?

Thanks in advance!

MalcQV
26-01-2008, 11:27 PM
Hi guys a newbie here :1zhelp:

Just a further question for this thread, I have a cream leather interior of my new to me A6 and it has a few stains in the leather that need something a little stronger than whats already been mentioned. Do any of you know a strong stain remover that wont completely destroy the leather?

Thanks in advance!

This is up to you, I used the gliptone from the liquidleather link I posted above along with a colour wash for Crema leather. I sent off a piece of the leather from the car (behind the CD player in my case) and they matched it. It covers scuffs and I think stains.

If you give them the details of the car they can send a standard OEM match I think.

Baron_Samedi
31-01-2008, 11:09 AM
Out of interest, do you lucky people with leather upholstery use hide food to keep the material nice and supple?

MalcQV
31-01-2008, 02:01 PM
Just the Gliptone cleaner and conditioner, not sure if this is "food" or not.

cookie7354
03-02-2008, 09:00 AM
Good morning all, im new to the site having recently brought a Audi cabriolet 2.6 1994 Reg and it goes like stink :D. Having just brought it the previous owners smoked and the leather reflects this by having a 'old smoke smell' inside the car. Can i get rid of the smell apart from cleaning the carpets, and what would be the best cleaner.

Many thanks,

Baron_Samedi
04-02-2008, 04:31 PM
You could use a steam cleaner, but I used a more patient approach and waited for the stink to disappear. It only took a few weeks for the cigar smell to dissipate :D

cookie7354
07-02-2008, 03:01 PM
many thanks im on the case.

kimandsally
23-03-2008, 11:38 AM
A bowl of baking powder left in the car absorbes nasty smells, people use it to remove and clean the smell from fridges etc.

Also a product called shake and vac can sort out the carpets and seats.

Crasher
23-03-2008, 02:15 PM
That brings back nightmare memories of my childhood!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8CTscW3dpI

MalcQV
25-03-2008, 02:33 PM
That brings back nightmare memories of my childhood!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8CTscW3dpI

:p:p I remember me mum trying it, don't remember her dancing around when vacuuming though :D

k9max
26-03-2008, 07:42 PM
A bowl of baking powder left in the car absorbes nasty smells, people use it to remove and clean the smell from fridges etc.

If you haven't got baking powder, bog standard Nescafe (or any instant coffee!) will absorb nasty niffs too.