PDA

View Full Version : How much life left in brakes?

Eshrules
12-10-2006, 10:57 AM
same golf gt tdi, w plate 115bhp. front discs and pads are fine, plenty of life left, but backs have only got i'd say about 2 inches of silver on the disc, is this even safe? just had a full MOT before i got it from the dealer and its passed a 'pdi' supposedly but im not convinced, opinions pps?:confused:

thefoolmccool
13-10-2006, 10:51 AM
I dont really understand what it is you mean.There are two ways disc brakes can wear out.

1.Pad lining material thickness wears below minimum.
2.Disc thickness wears below minimum.

From what you describe I cannot understand what you mean. I think you are talking about the actual contact area between pads and disc. 2 inches for this would be about right for the rear brakes. The contact area is usually much smaller because the rear breaks don't have to offer the same braking force as the front.

I have a simple diagram that shows the way to check these two thicknesses if you want to email me at thefoolmccool@hotmail.com. The pad thickness should be greater than about 3mm and depending on the type of disc (vented/non-vented), thickness should be 10-15mm.

As for the contact area of the pads, if this changes there is something seriously wrong.

Hope this helps.

Kev

thefoolmccool
13-10-2006, 10:52 AM
`