PDA

View Full Version : 1996 A4 brake issues

ikect
05-01-2008, 11:49 PM
I recently changed my front rotors and pads on my 1996 A4, now they shake uncontrollably!! Has anyone experienced this problem or does anyone have a solution to fix this problem??

TheWills
06-01-2008, 12:48 AM
Sounds like the new discs aren't running true (like a bicycle wheel thats not squire/ buckled, spin it - it wobbles).
Possible causes assuming that it was fine in this respect with the old set and no steering geometry changes have taken place;
a) Incorrectly machined new set, run the edge of a ruler along all faces they should be 100% flat.
b) They are not clamped into place fully with the wheel on. Give them a push/pull NO movement should be found and all mating sufaces should be clean and smoothe, any ridges would throw them out of line but still look fine.
c) ABS fault which is kicking in the ABS without cause possible with new brakes bedding in and snatching but a rare thing.

I would remove the discs, check them with a straight edge, check all mating surfaces, clean up the ABS sensors, refit and try again if nothing found. It takes very little to produce bad feedback from the brakes so look closely and be very critical.
If in doubt, return them to the vendor and get replacements stating the fault.

bwfcboy
07-01-2008, 01:19 PM
is it happening all the time or just when you slow up?

had a recent similar problem at slow speed caused by incorrect positioning of one of the ABS sensors, giving a false reading and causing ABS to kick in for no reason