PDA

View Full Version : A3 - Rear and Brake Lights

ronakc
05-01-2008, 06:49 PM
i've got an A3 2004 lately been having to replace the brake lights alot...i think there maybe an electrical fault...any suggestions to locate the fault?

Ron

smiler6786
16-01-2008, 11:49 PM
I've had exactly the same problems. I've replaced 5 rear brake lights in a couple of months - PLEASE HELP!!!!

SDO
18-01-2008, 11:17 AM
Mine does this also one min it'll tell me i have a bulb out next it's saying it's fine. anyone know whats it is

jumpers4
02-02-2008, 12:37 AM
no idea what the problem is but at least i now know i am not the only one!!!!!!!!!!

SEMKY
02-02-2008, 07:05 PM
Hi Guys,

Recently had this problem.
In mine I discovered that it is very easy to put the replacement bulb in 'upside down' for want of a better description. What I mean is that the Brake light filament within the bulb is lit whenever the headlight/sidelights are on, meaning massively increased operation.

You could check this by putting the headlights on, checking the brightness of the rear lights, then get someone to operate the brake pedal and see if there is any change. Thats how I found it anyway!

SO what I am trying to suggest (not very eloquently I know) is remove the bulb from the holder, rotate it through 180 degrees and re-insert it as per normal.

Does that make any sense?:beerchug:

ernie_kay
26-02-2008, 11:37 PM
Hi all
I have the same problem :zx11:, on my 05 A3 Sportback sport, but the brake light is only a single filament bulb so having it upside down doesn't seem to be an option.

I have been careful to clean the bulbs once in, in case that's an issue (shouldn't be on a 21 watt bulb, but just in case).

As I'm now becoming aware that this is not just my car, maybe a visit to the VAG dealer may be in order.

Any VAG advice?

Thanks for this thread.

ernie_kay