PDA

View Full Version : tdi power figures

mrjolly
04-01-2008, 08:26 PM
come on then folks, whos got the most powerfull 1.9 tdi motor?
is 200hp possible on a budget?
(8v engines)

passat>sport
06-01-2008, 08:41 PM
There is a guy on tdiclub with a skoda vrs tdi (260 something BHP) he's in devon (devonutopia) his user name is.

I bet he'll know the how to's

onzarob
06-01-2008, 08:55 PM
There is a guy on tdiclub with a skoda vrs tdi (260 something BHP) he's in devon (devonutopia) his user name is.

I bet he'll know the how to's

He part of the Mod team on here, great car, mad as you like

http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/member.php?u=1491

:D

Stevef.
06-01-2008, 09:35 PM
It looks like you have the older VE non PD engine going off your profile, you can get these up to that sort of power with bolt on stuff and chip tuning, if you bought everything you needed new it would probably cost you about £2750-£3250. If you can get used you can make a big saving.

passat>sport
06-01-2008, 09:48 PM
He part of the Mod team on here, great car, mad as you like

http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/member.php?u=1491

:D O yes, small world.

like to have a go in it. :D

mrjolly
07-01-2008, 09:09 PM
It looks like you have the older VE non PD engine going off your profile, you can get these up to that sort of power with bolt on stuff and chip tuning, if you bought everything you needed new it would probably cost you about £2750-£3250. If you can get used you can make a big saving.
what sort of stuff do you need that costs £3k? that must include a new blower. and or intercooler upgrade?
ive made a start on mine , de-cat, k+n panel, psi tuning box ( will be removed in lou of a remap) + a blitz digi boost guage to keep an eye on naughty turbo. just got it reliable after sticky turbo issues so i may try bleeding the air to the maps sensor and see if it will run a few more psi. ? anybody tried this yet?
i thing i will dump the egr next and look at some bigger injector nozzles and intercooler. what are you doin

layerz
07-01-2008, 10:23 PM
Well before my current problem with my turbo (see post) I have a 1998 tdi red I that made just under 100bhp on rollers.

I fitted larger nozzles myself at a cost of 140 quid
Remap 200 quid
And a power output of 155bhp and 222 ft/lb torque.

If I can sort the present issue and an oil leak around the sump (think just a new sump gasket)
then I will be looking down the route of an fmic and a vnt 17 turbo with a new remap and a lightened flywheel and uprated clutch.

mrjolly
07-01-2008, 10:34 PM
not a bad improvement, ive not seen flywheels for these motors myself,
sensible to do at the same time as a clutch though. do you feel like you will need a stronger clutch ? if so who does em , or can you fit one from a more powerful car?

layerz
08-01-2008, 09:41 PM
Once I get the turbo sorted then yea.

The old torque figure was about 170-180 ft/lb torque and the new one of 222lb is quite the hike much more and I can see myself needed a more heavy duty clutch and a lightened flywheel would just be nice.

There are people who offer better kits out there but I can not remeber off the top of my head I am afraid.

Stevef.
10-01-2008, 09:56 PM
what sort of stuff do you need that costs £3k? that must include a new blower. and or intercooler upgrade?
ive made a start on mine , de-cat, k+n panel, psi tuning box ( will be removed in lou of a remap) + a blitz digi boost guage to keep an eye on naughty turbo. just got it reliable after sticky turbo issues so i may try bleeding the air to the maps sensor and see if it will run a few more psi. ? anybody tried this yet?
i thing i will dump the egr next and look at some bigger injector nozzles and intercooler. what are you doin

For 200 I think you would need a turbo(Vnt 20) or equivilent, large injector nozzles(race 520 or +), injector pump upgrade (11mm pump),1/2 decent FMIC and relevant piping, different intake manifold, possibly larger diameter piping supplying turbo, high flow air filter, a good rolling road remap, and a clutch flywheel setup to handle it. You could get about 170/180 without the FMIC and pump maybe a touch more.

layerz
10-01-2008, 11:18 PM
Steve I think a VNT 20 would see you 200 easily prolly 225 if I was to guess. But the lag would be crap.

Personally I would go down the hybrid vnt 17b route. And I think standard pumps are ok to 200bhp I think (on my afn engine anyway). But I am planning all these mods on my afn over the next few months if I can source a reasonable vnt17b to replace my vnt15

Stevef.
11-01-2008, 01:52 PM
I dont know how easy it is for parts for your car, is the engine mounted sideways on? I have a golf I fitted a vb turbo from a pd150 ,straight swap except for the compressor outlet, I think all the cars i have seen with 200ish have 11mm pumps fitted , the 17 hybrids are an option for this too but will probably be pushed harder to get to 200, oh I forgot to mention a larger bore free flowing exhaust ,and an inline or intank fuel pump will help a bit with the fueling too.

layerz
11-01-2008, 06:48 PM
Hmmm,

I am sure that a vnt 17 can be pushed to 190bhp on a pd engine with an aggressive remap.
At the end of the day I want usable power so don't 200bhp that would kill the engine. I would rather have say 185bhp with a good lump of toque.

I am not sure which route to go down yet as I am waiting to see if my engine is repairable with an oil leak and water loss but need to get it done soonish.

My plans are looking like this atm.
*insert a working engine here*
FMIC
VNT17b turbo (poss hybrid or I will send it off)
Heavy duty clutch (when I can locate a stockist)
Old man cold airfeed
Customer big bore exhaust

Bigger brakes
Upgraded suspension
Spoiler from an S4
Probably a new front bumper to house an fmic

Alot is dependant on finding the coolant leak on my car as to wheather I can keep this engine or not. But if a new engine goes in whilst they are at it the new clutch will go on. And prolly new suspension at the same time.

Stevef.
11-01-2008, 07:44 PM
Yeah on the pd150s they can be pushed to that that is partly due to the different injection system on the pds though, if you get a hybrid it should be more capable than a standard vb if are happy with 180ish the vb will be fine, make sure you get the gt1749vb and not va though , the other thing with going too high is that the bottom ends of these engines have been proven to be not as strong as the pd engines, the people with 200+hp tend to have upgraded their conrods and also pistons, it looks like you have quite a project going on there.

good luck anyway.

layerz
11-01-2008, 08:06 PM
Heh main thing is I am gona outsource 80% of the work......owch!

mrjolly
11-01-2008, 08:14 PM
hey layerz, i had a water leak that was a pig to find and it turned out to be a rotten core plug on the head behind the timing belt cover. might be worth a look?

Stevef.
11-01-2008, 08:30 PM
Heh main thing is I am gona outsource 80% of the work......owch!

I like doing stuff myself but fitting it in can be a problem.

layerz
11-01-2008, 08:45 PM
Problem I got espeically in two weeks time is that I have no where to work on the car and it is needed daily.

I am gona put it in with a garage in Leicester and see if they can put all write. Once that is done time for some new parts.