PDA

View Full Version : 115bhp Golf no good for remapping?

craggsy
04-01-2008, 06:59 PM
Hi There!

I rang a local firm about a price to remap my Golf, as soon as I mentioned it was the 115bhp he told me he wasn't keen doing it. He said hes had problems with the Turbo's on the 115bhp and advised me against it.

I've haven't read anyone else mentioning the 115bhp being no good for remapping, what are peoples reviews?

My Golf is a workhorse, its got 40k on the clock but I've already done 10k in 6 months so id rather be safe then sorry!

If bumping the power on my Golf isnt out the question, what are peoples opionions about these tuning boxes such as ones sold by tdi-tuning.co.uk.

Cheers in advance!

Stevef.
04-01-2008, 07:21 PM
Your car can be remapped , yours has the same turbo as a 110 by the way.

craggsy
04-01-2008, 10:50 PM
Thanks for the reply, from researching, mostly form reading posts on this forum, I couldn't find anything to say that the 115bhp shouldnt be remapped any less then a 110 or even a 130bhp.

Wonder why this company has had some much trouble then!

aBoijj
08-01-2008, 01:43 AM
My PD115 is booked in to p-torque for a remap in just under a fortnight - I've hunted around on the internet and found no reason why a well maintained car couldn't be remapped.

RSTuning
11-01-2008, 11:06 AM
I'm sure the PD 115 and 130 run the same turbo setup, injectors and everything. Just different software.

Not heard of any issues either way so dont worry IMO

aBoijj
11-01-2008, 12:15 PM
I'm sure the PD 115 and 130 run the same turbo setup, injectors and everything. Just different software.

I was under the impression that this was not the case...... I might be wrong though.

RSTuning
11-01-2008, 12:29 PM
The turbo maybe different (not sure) but i am sure the injectors are the same allowing a very very nice increase above stock. 50hp should not be too hard!

Paul

aBoijj
11-01-2008, 02:43 PM
The turbo maybe different (not sure) but i am sure the injectors are the same allowing a very very nice increase above stock. 50hp should not be too hard!

Paul

That sounds more like it to me http://www.aboijj.com/images/nod.gif

aBoijj
11-01-2008, 02:47 PM
Saying that (and not wanting to be accused of being a post-whore in the process http://www.aboijj.com/images/wack.gif) my mum has a PD130 and I have the PD115 (as you can probably tell from my sig). If we get a dry day when I have some spare time I could pop my head underneath both cars and see if I could see if they're the same or not.

Stevef.
11-01-2008, 07:56 PM

Paul

Sorry to disagree Paul but the turbo is slightly smaller then the va used on the 130s, I am also 95% certain the injectors are not as good either, i think people put the 130/150 injectors into these as an upgrade.

I have seen one of youre dyno plots on a gold 99 gttdi110, and have to say it is very impressive, I unfortunatley have the same chip as James had,:mad: and have always thought it was crap, it was done by another company who advertises on here and you probably know who it is. You managed to get 20hp more out of it , I wander if I could get a refund. :D

RSTuning
11-01-2008, 08:12 PM
Sorry to disagree Paul but the turbo is slightly smaller then the va used on the 130s, I am also 95% certain the injectors are not as good either, i think people put the 130/150 injectors into these as an upgrade.

I have seen one of youre dyno plots on a gold 99 gttdi110, and have to say it is very impressive, I unfortunatley have the same chip as James had,:mad: and have always thought it was crap, it was done by another company who advertises on here and you probably know who it is. You managed to get 20hp more out of it , I wander if I could get a refund. :D

Dont mind :) As i said i'm not 100%

I'll look into it but i'm was sure the injectors can flow the same. Even if no they are well limited in the software and plenty more injection is possible :)

We've had plenty of time on the 110 in question and tried many different things to see what the limits are, it certainly appears 150-160 is an absolute max no matter how much smoke there is lol.

Paul

Stevef.
11-01-2008, 08:34 PM
What was so wrong with the other remap to make it so less powerful?

RSTuning
11-01-2008, 08:42 PM
I wouldnt say there was anyhing "wrong" as such

Different tuners tune in different ways. IMO James's car ran well when we first dyno'd it. (137hp i think)

Cheers

Paul

Stevef.
11-01-2008, 09:02 PM
Yeah, I agree my car is quite nippy and runs well but there is no way that when it was remapped only ,that it was pushing out the 150-160 I was told i would get, when i saw James dynos it was quite eerie how his car ran at about what I thought mine was. He thought so too, I dont think he was too impressed with his old chip either, I suppose you get what you pay for:( anyway, I have a few mods going on on my car at the moment ,I am not planning on getting another remap but if I still feel the car is underpowered when I have finished you may have another customer.:)

RSTuning
11-01-2008, 09:14 PM
Out of interest why didnt you complain there and then? Maybe they could have sorted it or refunded you the money

Paul

VanWheeler
11-01-2008, 09:39 PM
I believe it's turbo and inlet manifold that is the main difference and the map. Apart fromt that all the same. Mapped a 115 the other week that had the 130 turbo and inlet manifold. It flew.

Cheers, Mark

Stevef.
11-01-2008, 09:44 PM
Thats a good question, the people who did it are about 320 miles from where i live , I posted the ecu to them, its of the solder in type, great service back in about 2 days, drove the car and wasn`t too impressed, called them and they told me the ecu will need to re learn a few things give it a few hundred miles, Ok so I did and I still wasnt too impressed, arranged to send it back to them, this time I gave it a couple of days and didnt get it back phoned them and was told its just getting done will be with you tomorrow, anyway this sort of stuff went on for about a week and a half when i finally got it back, and it really didnt feel any different, basically after this hassle and for the sake of £200 I didnt really want to risk sending it back again.

RSTuning
13-01-2008, 03:13 PM
Thats a good question, the people who did it are about 320 miles from where i live , I posted the ecu to them, its of the solder in type, great service back in about 2 days, drove the car and wasn`t too impressed, called them and they told me the ecu will need to re learn a few things give it a few hundred miles, Ok so I did and I still wasnt too impressed, arranged to send it back to them, this time I gave it a couple of days and didnt get it back phoned them and was told its just getting done will be with you tomorrow, anyway this sort of stuff went on for about a week and a half when i finally got it back, and it really didnt feel any different, basically after this hassle and for the sake of £200 I didnt really want to risk sending it back again.

:( thats poor

aBoijj
24-01-2008, 12:05 AM
Well, I had my remap done at the weekend and I have to say it's well worth doing http://www.aboijj.com/images/nod.gif Top marks to Will from Performance Torque - very friendly and honest, a pleasure to deal with http://www.aboijj.com/images/thumbsup.gif I now don't need to worry about whether the car will have enough power to overtake the slow-coaches on the country lanes I use daily.

Acceleration and torque are much improved right through the rev range. Power delivery is smooth and the flat-spot in second has been eliminated. I'm also quite convinced that the throttle response has improved too.

I also had a panel filter fitted (I could've done it myself but the price including fitting was as good if not better than I could've bought it for retail) The main reasons I had it fitted were because it was due a change anyway and also I've heard from people who've tuned VAG cars that the VAG filters are a bit crap.

chris.fulton
24-01-2008, 12:19 AM
What sort of performance figures are you getting after the remap? I have the 115bhp engine and was considering getting it remapped at some stage but would like to know what sort of gains can be got out of that engine.

aBoijj
24-01-2008, 03:35 PM
Will claims his map to add 38 BHP and 75 NM torque (I think I worked this out to be about 53 lb/ft)

I don't know any exact figures for my car but if Will wants to get himself some (almost) free advertising then I'll gladly pop over one saturday for him to do a sample rolling road read-out on my car for you lot to see as it's not too far from my fiancee's house as it turns out.

All I can say is that it now feels noticably faster than my mum's PD130

craggsy
05-02-2008, 09:31 PM
Bugger, my PC has died and look what I've missed.. Thanks everyone for you advise.

Glad the remap went well for you aBoiji, out of interest, what panel filter did you get when you changed from the stock VAG filter?

ini
06-02-2008, 12:06 AM
I would not bother with any aftermarket panel filter on a turbo diesel (except a very few low micron dry gauze types)

Used for a long time they generally either erode the leading edge of the compressor blades, or foul the MAF (oiled).

The 'paper' filter is easily good for more than 250bhp.

The GT1749V (rehoused VNT15) on a 115 is good for many more psi than any tuning firm will give it.

The only weak part on the 115 tends to be the clutch.

aBoijj
06-02-2008, 03:25 PM
Bugger, my PC has died and look what I've missed.. Thanks everyone for you advise.

Glad the remap went well for you aBoiji, out of interest, what panel filter did you get when you changed from the stock VAG filter?

Chuffed if I can remember, I'll have a look when I've got a spare 5 mins later in the week.

craggsy
06-02-2008, 09:28 PM
I would not bother with any aftermarket panel filter on a turbo diesel (except a very few low micron dry gauze types)

Used for a long time they generally either erode the leading edge of the compressor blades, or foul the MAF (oiled).

The 'paper' filter is easily good for more than 250bhp.

The GT1749V (rehoused VNT15) on a 115 is good for many more psi than any tuning firm will give it.

The only weak part on the 115 tends to be the clutch.

So it was basically it's b*l*cks that the VNT15 turbos are weak and shouldn't be remapped?

Wonder why this company advised against it then...maybe it was just his maps that were problem and not the turbo!

ini
06-02-2008, 11:32 PM
I think it is more a case of keeping an acceptable lifespan for the turbo.

gabba
14-03-2008, 08:25 PM
i thought the 110 GT and 115 GT are completely different...

the 115 (AJM and later) is PD and the 110 (AHF and later) is injectors with a normal pump, non?

p-torque.co.uk
19-03-2008, 04:02 PM
Chuffed if I can remember, I'll have a look when I've got a spare 5 mins later in the week.

Sorry to drag an oldish thread up, but just wanted to say thanks for the great feedback, and I'm please you're happy :D

Not sure if you had the Ramair or Pipercross filter fitted now, but both do the same job :beerchug:

aBoijj
19-03-2008, 05:35 PM
Sorry to drag an oldish thread up, but just wanted to say thanks for the great feedback, and I'm please you're happy :D

Not sure if you had the Ramair or Pipercross filter fitted now, but both do the same job :beerchug:

Most likely the Ramair - I'm pretty sure I would've remembered if it was a Pipercross.

Gunnar
23-03-2008, 07:47 AM
You don't get an increase with an oiled filter. The original paper ones do the job fine.