PDA

View Full Version : A4 TDI 130 overheating and no hot air!!

shane123321
04-01-2008, 01:24 PM
I have an audi a4 tdi 130. i recently jump started a friends car and when i drove off the heater was blowing out cold air. i then drove for an extended period of time and i noticed that the temp gague had gone up to 100, this is unusual as it never goes past 90!!! it then ventured into the red and the coolant message flagged up! i have since drained the coolant and filled it up again but it keeps overheating now and again and the heaters still dont work!!
i need help!!!
its also strugling to start in the morning but ive put this down to the cold we've been having!!
any help will be fantastic as im very hands on but dont have a clue about german cars!

thank you in advance

passat>sport
06-01-2008, 08:37 PM
Lots of vag cars are fitted with a water pump with a plastic impeller. The impeller spins on the shaft when they go faulty.

How old is the pump?

BTW, They do an uprated metal one now.

Crasher
06-01-2008, 08:53 PM
Classic water pump failure, I did two last week. Genuine VAG water pumps are still fitted with plastic impellers but if they last 4 years, what’s the problem? They should be changed every four years with the belt/tensioner. I don't like fitting pattern pumps with metal impellers, I have seen a few with failed bearings and that is far more catastrophic than a detached/broken impeller. If a genuine VAG pump fails within 2 years, they will replace it including the labour even if they didn’t fit it.

passat>sport
07-01-2008, 11:19 AM
Genuine VAG water pumps are still fitted with plastic impelllers, but if they last 4 years, what’s the problem?

But many don't last the life span of the t/belt! Some folk have reported them failing at 50K.

I have seen a few with failed bearings and that is far more catastrophic than a detached/broken impeller.

I agree with this though, a detached impeller is better than a detached timing belt.

Just hope mine does not go the same way! :(

shane123321
08-01-2008, 03:33 PM
i know the timing belt was done about 10k ago, i will find out if the water pump has gone. but am i wrong to think it may be a relay or fuse, purely because it started happening when i jump started my mates car. i may have fried something??!!

thank you all

passat>sport
08-01-2008, 04:51 PM
i may have fried something??!!

Water not circulating can only mean a blockage in the cooling system, faulty thermostat, water pump, air-lock, or very worse you've blown the head gasket. (back pressure) .

Is there any back pressure at all from the bottle or are the water pipes getting hard?

It may just be a coincidence that it happened when you jump started your mates car. (I may be wrong but ther is nothing electrical that can stop water flow)

As crasher said it sounds like classic plastic impeller detachment.