PDA

View Full Version : Audi a4 2001 - Did you change your stereo ?

nutter1980
04-01-2008, 12:09 PM
Hello again forum buddys ! :beerchug:

I want to change my stereo in my audi, I have the standard concert system, I want to play MP3 and WMA files so I was thinking of getting a new stereo, Can anyone recommed one that is easy to fit to this car, also I wanted to know if the dash features would work,eg what track your on , what radio station your on.

any help would be great.:biglaugh:

Eclipse car Audio
04-01-2008, 01:01 PM
Hi Mate

Fitting this shouldnt be a problem you will need a fitting adaptor (about £12 ish) If I remember rightly (not done one for a while) the connections at the back are ISO so should plug straight in.

To have your display working narrows down your choice of unit considerably the only one I can think of at the moment is the Alpine CDA 9885 (about £220 ish) but I think Kenwood do one and I am sure the other big names do as well (Pioneer, Sony etc) This feature is usually only available on the higher end units so depends on your budget really and you will need an extra lead to connect this up.

Hope this helps a bit.

Cheers

Tony

Bong Water
08-01-2008, 12:39 PM
Hi

I am doing the same but was wondering if the temp section and trip computer section of the screen will stay? Not to bothered about the stereo only bit.

Thanks

nutter1980
08-01-2008, 01:11 PM
I have been told that this will not work full stop by several Car audio shops. Not sure if this is fact.

Bong Water
08-01-2008, 01:54 PM
The top part wont, but I have been told by reputable company that the temp and trip computer will still work fine. I want to hear off someone who has done it to confirm though if possible

Eclipse car Audio
08-01-2008, 02:18 PM
As the standard plugs at the back of the Concert radio are ISO and an adaptor is not needed you shouldnt lose your temp display etc. Unfortunately I cant seem to get a definitive answer as to whether you can keep your radio display and thinking back the only one I have changed in the past the customer wasnt bothered about the display.

Bong Water
08-01-2008, 03:37 PM
Thanks for the info

Is there anyone on here that has actually done it to their own car though? Its hard to believe there are no 96-00 Audi's with aftermarket stereos!!!??

Eclipse car Audio
08-01-2008, 03:50 PM
Thanks for the info

Is there anyone on here that has actually done it to their own car though? Its hard to believe there are no 96-00 Audi's with aftermarket stereos!!!??

I have changed loads on earlier A4's 96-99 ish but only one newer one (51 plate I think) All of the earlier ones I have done didnt have a seperate display (mine included though not sure if any of the earlier B5's had a seperate display if someone can correct me?) so they are not a problem.

Bong Water
08-01-2008, 07:03 PM
Mine is a B5 and its a 2000, the newer shape is 2001

Mine has three displays on 1 screen which I think is the same for all B5's

The top on is the stereo which I dont care about and the middle is the temp and bottom the trip computer

Losing the top one is not a problem, its the other two I want to keep, I really want to chnage my stereo as the volume fault drives me mad in the morning!!!! :zx11:

But, I want the rest of the screen to work for when I sell the car on, sooooo, I want to be sure before I go ahead.

Thanks for the help so far mate

Eclipse car Audio
08-01-2008, 08:35 PM
Mine has only got a display for outside temp and a display for what gear I am in (its an Auto) above those displays I have four lights for low fuel, oil etc so there must have been a change somewhere mines a 97 1.9 tdi SE.

Anyway the one quick way to find out is to remove your stereo and unplug it (make sure you've got your code first) then turn the ignition on and see what you get on the screen but I am pretty sure all you will lose is the stereo display and nothing else.

Bong Water
08-01-2008, 08:51 PM
Anyway the one quick way to find out is to remove your stereo and unplug it (make sure you've got your code first) then turn the ignition on and see what you get on the screen but I am pretty sure all you will lose is the stereo display and nothing else.

lol didnt even think of that, i'm not that sure on how to remove it but ill give it a whirl :Blush2:

Thanks for the help

Eclipse car Audio
08-01-2008, 08:57 PM
You'll need the removal keys there should be two slots in the bottom corners of your radio slide the keys in and pull out you should be able to get the keys from Audi (and shouldnt be too expensive) not sure if ********* do em or not.

Let us know how you get on mate.

paul b
08-01-2008, 11:52 PM
Even e-bay do the stereo keys!
Paul

Bong Water
09-01-2008, 12:47 PM
Cheers guys, handy info to be getting on with here all though I may be a little while reporting back as prioity right now is major service and cambelt change and its a dear doo!

Greengoblin
10-01-2008, 12:24 PM
Hi, I've just recently changed the stereo in my 2000 A4 and I can confirm that you will only lose the top part of your display, the other portions will still function correctly.

Now if I could just work out how to get the rear speakers working???? :confused:

Bong Water
10-01-2008, 12:27 PM
Thats good to know man thanks!

Does the fuel warning light still come on?

Eclipse car Audio
10-01-2008, 02:39 PM
The rear speakers should be amplified so the amp will need switching on have a look at the Audi end of the plug to see if there is a connection there which doesnt have anything going into it from the radio end (if that makes sense) I think it is a green wire but could be wrong. Your new radio should have a blue/white wire coming out of it (providing the unit has the ability to connect an amp) this wire is a remote turn on lead to supply 12v to an amp to enable it to switch on connect this lead to the turn on lead for the Audi amp.

Check the Audi wire first though before connecting it - someone on here may be able to confirm what wire it is as i haven't done one for a while and cant remember off the top of my head.

Greengoblin
10-01-2008, 03:04 PM
All the warning lights still function, especially the low washer one at this time of year ;).

Thanks for the heads up on the speaker wires Eclipse, I'll check that out.