PDA

View Full Version : How to find out if a cars been chipped?

Floatylite99
04-01-2008, 12:02 PM
Apologies if this is the wrong area of the forum to ask this (didn't know whether it should go in the VAG-Com area).

Trying to find out if my car has been chipped by the previous owner (partly due to insurance declaration purposes).

I came across this thread (http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=20750) where the owner had used vagcom to log the torque from the engine as a means to check.

Using a similar methodology I got a peak of 330NM at 2331 rpm which seems higher than the printed spec for the car which is 270ish.

Was wondering if this is normal for a 130 1.9 TDi (and the 50+ increase is errors introduced by the measuring on Vagcom).

Thanks,

Paul.

nickynibbles
04-01-2008, 03:33 PM
There was a 2nd variant of the 1.9TDI 130 engine that had just over 300NM of torque, but not quite 330NM! Not sure on the engine codes for this. You could check your engine code as listed in the front of your service book and ask Audi what the torque output is meant to be. You could also ask the previous owner if they're aware of it being chipped, their address will be on the V5.

Floatylite99
04-01-2008, 08:36 PM
Thanks for your reply. The previous owner of the car is no longer at that address so can't get hold of them. Will give Audi a call to see what they say about the engine.

mellie
08-01-2008, 06:56 PM
If your only trying to find out for insurance purposes why bother. You've bought the car in good faith as being a 130 Bhp. If you'd remapped it yourself fine let insurance co. know but in you case I wouldn't bother.

VanWheeler
08-01-2008, 07:24 PM
Doesn't sound like to it me, these normally put out 400nm when remapped. 50nm is a poor gain if it has been remapped. Plus it does depend on where you have the 285nm or the 312nm version. Plus VAG engine often put out more than stock if looked after well.

Cheers Mark

Apologies if this is the wrong area of the forum to ask this (didn't know whether it should go in the VAG-Com area).

Trying to find out if my car has been chipped by the previous owner (partly due to insurance declaration purposes).

I came across this thread (http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=20750) where the owner had used vagcom to log the torque from the engine as a means to check.

Using a similar methodology I got a peak of 330NM at 2331 rpm which seems higher than the printed spec for the car which is 270ish.

Was wondering if this is normal for a 130 1.9 TDi (and the 50+ increase is errors introduced by the measuring on Vagcom).

Thanks,

Paul.

nickynibbles
09-01-2008, 09:29 AM
If your only trying to find out for insurance purposes why bother. You've bought the car in good faith as being a 130 Bhp. If you'd remapped it yourself fine let insurance co. know but in you case I wouldn't bother.

Unfortunately simply denying knowledge of something is a very very very grey defence legally! As much as anything i'd rather know if my car was chipped previously, for my own knowledge!

Floatylite99
09-01-2008, 09:15 PM
Nickynibbles, That was my thoughts exactly! If the unfortunate did happen and I needed to call upon my insurance company, I'm sure they would be more than happy to use the fact the car was modified as an excuse not to cough up. However, from what Mark says below it looks like its standard anyway. Thanks for everyone input. Paul

mellie
10-01-2008, 05:57 PM
Unfortunately simply denying knowledge of something is a very very very grey defence legally! As much as anything i'd rather know if my car was chipped previously, for my own knowledge!

If you don't actually know its chipped your not denying knowledge and the whole legal grey point is null and void. Its only if you'd bought the car knowing 100% that it has been altered that I'd be concerned and inform insurance. Your basically saying you'd get every car you buy 2nd hand checked to see if its been remapped??? I'd maybe, possibly, get a car checked if it felt/was quicker 0-60 than quoted.

nickynibbles
11-01-2008, 11:01 AM
If you don't actually know its chipped your not denying knowledge and the whole legal grey point is null and void. Its only if you'd bought the car knowing 100% that it has been altered that I'd be concerned and inform insurance. Your basically saying you'd get every car you buy 2nd hand checked to see if its been remapped??? I'd maybe, possibly, get a car checked if it felt/was quicker 0-60 than quoted.

Ask any lawyer you like, they'll agree that claiming ignorance is no defence. If the car is found to be chipped it would be your responsibility to prove beyond reasonable doubt that you had no knowledge of this. A court would support an insurance company refusing to pay out until this was evidenced as the insurance company is merely protecting itself against a potential fraud.

The question remains how would you prove beyond reasonable doubt that you did know something? Very hard to do in reality!

mellie
11-01-2008, 01:08 PM
The question remains how would you prove beyond reasonable doubt that you did know something? Very hard to do in reality!

Shouldn't that be didn't know something? And surely they also would have to prove beyond reasonable doubt that you had prior knowledge. Also very hard to do in reality. My point is unless the car feels markedly faster than it should be. Why would you bother to get it checked for a remap just on the off chance the car has been altered.