PDA

View Full Version : changing from TDi to Turbo FSi - anyone done this?

britcay
03-01-2008, 10:34 PM
I don't really do the miles (12-15k a year), not fussed about the consumption and though I love my 2.0TDi sportback sport, I've the option on a 2.0T FSI Quattro S-Line (special edition) ex demonstrator at my local dealer which just happens to have all the extras I'd go for anyway!

SO my question is has anyone done this change and what did they think? - I don't want a war of opinion between oil-burners and petrolheads, just someone who has made the change and either loved it, or hated it :)

cheers and hello all btw !

Andy

VanWheeler
03-01-2008, 10:54 PM
Nice motors both of them, Have you considered remapping the TDi the 140's got to about 185-190hp and the 170's go to 205-210? I know it's not the same a a TFSI, but you'd be supprised what a remap can do for a diesel whilst still keeping the economy.

Cheers, Mark

engineermk
04-01-2008, 09:21 AM
We have two A3's. I drive a 57 plate 2.0TFSI Sport Quattro, my partner has a 54plate 2.0TDI Sport which i ocassionally drive. My observations...

The TFSI feels more livly, less restrained, than the TDI. somehow the TDI always feels held back even though its very fast. On similar journies the TFSI isn't really any quicker than the TDI but its is more fun. If you like a free revving engine go for the TFSI, accelaration at illegal speeds is fantastic. The TDi feels like a low end storm trooper in compariasion and if you not into revvy engines it can feel the stronger of the two.

The quattro makes the car, no more wheel spin as you pull out of junctions on damp/wet roads, incredable traction through fast roundabouts! A TFSI Quattro is a great cross country car and motorway mile eater... I clocked up 9000miles in 5 months and its one of the most confident cars i have driven.

You have identified the only downside; fuel consumption. the TFSI avarages 26mpg, the TDI over 45mpg.

If you are a kneen driver I'd go TFSI, if you are stuck in traffic all the time stick with the TDI as you won't get to enjoy the characteristics of the pertol engine.

britcay
04-01-2008, 03:30 PM
Thanks for both those replies guys, just what I was looking for

I did think about the remap and I suppose I just chickened out with it not being 'standard' - then there's the 170 TDi also, which was what I was originally looking at, but was worried I may tire of the same car again (I've never bought the same model car twice)

Well, this lunchtime I drove the quattro and it's stunning... I am very close to signing up for it... I'll probably be at the pumps a whole lot more, but then I'll get to look at it a whole lot more too :biglaugh:

Know what you mean about the surge in the TDi it feels stronger, but the TFsi is smoother (hits 100 in no time, which means I will have to be a lot more careful!)

The TFsi is also sufficiently different (in power and in spec, it's an S-Line Exclusive) so that I'll believe I'm in another car

....that's what I'm planning on telling the wife anyway! :Blush2:

nuggett
04-01-2008, 04:50 PM
I've only had my '05 Sportback TFsi for about 3 months but what a great engine it is. Its so versatile, you can pootle happily around town & then when on a Motorway or A road you really find out about the power available, 100mph is reached with still plenty of travel in the right pedal to go! No points on the licence yet but know i've got to be careful, & yes i am at the pumps a fair bit. This engine i've been, told should run on 97 or 98 Ron, which again adds 5p or so per litre! All the same i love it!!!:D

Nige

Space Cadet
04-01-2008, 05:30 PM
Get the petrol turbo…… and then get it re-mapped, you’ll be grinning like a Cheshire cat every time you drive it.

Had a MK5 GTI (same engine) and did the same thing, even with only FWD it was fantastic, now have a remapped 3.2Q so similar power and again its fantastic.

Am actually having the upgraded Haldex controller fitted at the end of the month as standard it feels too much like FWD too much of the time, with the upgraded controller it will feel more 50/50 under acceleration like a ‘proper’ Quattro.

Would be worth doing the same if you go for the Quattro.

britcay
05-01-2008, 06:03 PM
smitten.... I've just had a 4 hr drive in it around Somerset and given the greasy/wet roads it went like a train... I thought at one point I'd overdone it, but the car just powered round the corner.

It doesn't feel like you are going quite as fast as you are - the TDi has more of a surge of power, but is very short lived (and you then change up gears, ready for the next gob of power). The TFSi just keeps going...I must remember not to floor it like that very often

Superb car, lovely spec, signed on the dotted line when I dropped it back!!

:beerchug:

nuggett
05-01-2008, 11:00 PM
Congrats, you'll love it more every time you get in it!

Nige

MrMoist
06-01-2008, 04:49 PM
Hi all, new here.

I have just got off the phone from the dealer.

Just ordered a 7 month old A3 S-line 2.0t Quattro exclusive edition. A bit different from the E320 I drive at the moment.
I was looking for something smaller and sportier, hopefully got the right car for the job.

Cheers

Moisty

britcay
06-01-2008, 06:14 PM
...exactly what I've just done, except "mine's" 8 months old :) - tell me, did it have the GSM phone prep on the dash? They ALL seem to have that and it's the only thing I don't like - the bracket on the dash that is, not the system - my iphone plugs into the ipod connector and bluetooths into the car's handsfree - works superbly too!

MrMoist
06-01-2008, 07:10 PM
I purposely wanted a car without the GSM fitting on the dash.

Sorry if you have one, but I think they look so Halfords after market! Come on Audi, what's going on there!

LOL

britcay
24-01-2008, 08:12 PM
Well I spent a good 7hrs in the saddle from Taunton to St Helens and back and whilst the roads didnt exactly test the new wheels, it proved that fuel wasn't as bad as I thought. 32mpg is better than I'd expected so all in all I'm well happy

http://www.cargurus.com/images/2008/01/07/11/14/pic-6122.jpeg

engineermk
25-01-2008, 09:27 AM
32mpg! I managed 33mpg once... during the first 1000miles when i was runing it in. The best i do now is 30mpg on a conjested M1 north of london, 25-26 is the norm.

GSM pre - i agree the dash mount is ugly, i ordered the armrest option and its hidden in there.

A lot of demo's have GSM dash mounts as Audi UK recommend their staff order cars with this. A friend works there and gets a new car every 6-9 months and they are limited to what options they can have and some they must have. For example all S3's have to have sat nav, solid colours are not possible. These cars usally filter through to the dealers when their 6-9 months is finished.

britcay
27-01-2008, 12:48 PM
A lot of demo's have GSM dash mounts as Audi UK recommend their staff order cars with this. A friend works there and gets a new car every 6-9 months and they are limited to what options they can have and some they must have. For example all S3's have to have sat nav, solid colours are not possible. These cars usally filter through to the dealers when their 6-9 months is finished.

That's exactly what I have just bought... got a superb deal on it tho, so I'll put up with the 90's technology bracket unless I can find a way of safely removing it :rolleyes: