PDA

View Full Version : Liquid dripping onto pedals 2000 (W) Polo

Dr Rock
03-01-2008, 09:42 PM
Hi all,

First post here for me: my mum's 2000 W reg Polo 1.4E has started dripping liquid (probably water) onto the brake and accellerator pedals. The carpets and mats get very wet.

Anyone got any ideas on where to start looking? Having done a quick search here on the forum I am thinking of windscreen seal, bulkhead seal or pollen filter. Not sure where the pollen filter is. Also thinking about about heater cores/matrices etc as they can leak on SAABs (which is what I drive, along with a 1970 Beetle ;).

Not having the car at hand or the Haynes manual I am looking for suggestions before diving into the car to effect a speedy repair and keeping my Mum happy!

Cheers,

Fraser

sparkplug01
03-01-2008, 11:49 PM
Are you sure that is where the water is coming from,our 2000 polo had wet carpets on drivers side,turned out to be the door drains which were blocked & rain water from inside the door was finding it's way over the seal & on to the carpet

Dr Rock
04-01-2008, 12:01 AM
I'll bear that in mind, but given that the pedals are wet, I suspect it isn't coming in the doors.....:D More from under the dash somewhere....

nikkj
04-01-2008, 11:42 AM
I had the same problem which I traced back to the "gutter" along the windscreen, under the grill. Leaves had dropped in and blocked the weep hole that takes water out over the front wheel.

A piece of straightened wire hanger and a strong hose pipe spray did the job.

Dr Rock
04-01-2008, 04:56 PM
That sounds like my kind of fix! I only got the car for her last month and when checking it over noticed a number of leaves at the back of the engine bay: I'll certainly be inspecting that area next weekend!

Many thanks,

Fraser

nikkj
04-01-2008, 06:13 PM
Don't stop at clearing the leaves. They rot into a mulch whcih actually block the draining tube. Run a hose through the drainage tube to make sure it's clear.
Do the passanger side as well.

Dr Rock
04-01-2008, 08:17 PM
Oh...I will! Oh yes.