PDA

View Full Version : Oil warning light flashing intermittantly

magicmk
10-10-2006, 08:22 PM
Evening,

I have a VW Golf 1.4 (2000 - W reg) which has recently developed a fault. The oil warning light will come on intermittantly flashing with the rev's on the dashboard, not the car, dropping to 0. Checked the oil levels obviously but no problem there. This is becoming more of a common occurance now plus the vehicle cuts out sometimes when idling at junctions, traffic light etc. Is this linked?

Anyone got any ideas of what this could be and how to rectify the faults??

Thanks

adamss24
10-10-2006, 08:33 PM
Hi there, i think its time you invest into a vag-com compatible interface and scan your car for trouble codes then post them on the forum. You can download the shareware version from www.rosstech.com and it will pay itself in no time. If you shop around you could buy a lead for 15-20 pounds. Hope to hear from you soon.

thefoolmccool
11-10-2006, 09:28 AM
This sounds like it could be the electrical supply to the dashboard that is at fault. Sounds like the dash ignition-on feed is bad possibly a dodgy earth or relay somewhere. This can explain all the symptoms oil light coming on and also the car cutting out as the power for the immobiliser comes from the dash. I would try and pop the dash out (it aint that hard i dont think) and have a look, and test with a multimeter. Also check the relays. Do any other lights come on???

It could maybe be a bad idling speed of the engine as well. Does this only happen when the car is out of gear and idling?

magicmk
11-10-2006, 09:46 PM
Many thanks for the replies.

At the moment it is only the oil warning light coming on. With regards to the cutting out problem, it happens only at 0 - 20 mph, majority of cases at idling (thank god!).

Will have a look at the dash at let you know the outcome, thanks again