PDA

View Full Version : Only getting 34mpg on my TDI

wobblish
03-01-2008, 03:27 PM
Hello all, its my first post here so be nice!

I have a 2003 Mk4 Golf 1.9 TDI PD 100. Its done 65k.

Ive been keeping records for 6 months from my petrol receipts ( I write the mileage on the receipt when I fill up) of mileage / amount filled up and i dont seem to be getting anywhere near the MPG i should!

Average on a 51 litre fillup i do 380 miles which equates to about 34 miles/gallon

According to the trip computer on the car (memory 2, the long one) im doing 33.2MPG at an average speed of 15mph. (over 524 miles/34hours)

I use the car mainly to commute and get stuck in a fair amount of traffic, is this why the Mpg is so low? Any ideas on improving this please?

Todays journey of 7 miles took 25 mins at an average speed of 18mph and 35.4mpg

Thanks for your time

Warren

Eshrules
03-01-2008, 03:37 PM
quite honestly, i don't think you have anything to worry about.

i struggle to get to 30mpg around town at the moment with the cold weather etc.

these cars do not like being sat in traffic, 34mpg is actually a pretty good around town figure.

as long as you're seeing closer to the 40/45 mark on the m.way, i'd spare your concern :Blush:

v6dub
03-01-2008, 04:10 PM
you could always add some fuel system cleaner, that works for me alright when i start to see the mpg drop. Do it every 4000 miles or so.

mdcooper
04-01-2008, 01:31 PM
I noticed that i got better mpg when i didnt use the Air Conditioning alot, because i used to just leave it on all the time, and i then thought to myself, i dont need it on all the time! so now i think about it more, and i just put the hot fan on sometimes, and i get better mpg now, about 40-45 mpg going to work, some dual carriageway and some town driving for about 40 minutes, twice a day, and about 55-60 mpg on a long motorway journey.

My car is the 115 6 speed gt, by the way.

Matthew

madmonk
04-01-2008, 08:06 PM
I noticed that i got better mpg when i didnt use the Air Conditioning alot, because i used to just leave it on all the time, and i then thought to myself, i dont need it on all the time! so now i think about it more, and i just put the hot fan on sometimes, and i get better mpg now, about 40-45 mpg going to work, some dual carriageway and some town driving for about 40 minutes, twice a day, and about 55-60 mpg on a long motorway journey.

My car is the 115 6 speed gt, by the way.

Matthew try a tank full of shell V power:beerchug:

mdcooper
04-01-2008, 09:29 PM
try a tank full of shell V power:beerchug:

lol

mdcooper

madmonk
04-01-2008, 10:00 PM
seriously mate you'll be surprised, but what you save on miles you'll lose on the price of the fuel at the minute

mdcooper
04-01-2008, 10:05 PM
seriously mate you'll be surprised, but what you save on miles you'll lose on the price of the fuel at the minute

Yes, defeanately, its about 1.09 where i am at the moment.

But thats your caring/lovely government :D

Mdcooper

keawe
04-02-2008, 06:28 AM
Yes, defeanately, its about 1.09 where i am at the moment.

But thats your caring/lovely government :D

Mdcooper

I can Only get 30mpg on average on my GT TDI 150. Is it about right??? Would any others suggest it is too low???
cheers!!!!!

Eshrules
04-02-2008, 09:29 AM
I can Only get 30mpg on average on my GT TDI 150. Is it about right??? Would any others suggest it is too low???
cheers!!!!!

quite honestly, i don't think you have anything to worry about.

i struggle to get to 30mpg around town at the moment with the cold weather etc.

these cars do not like being sat in traffic, 34mpg is actually a pretty good around town figure.

as long as you're seeing closer to the 40/45 mark on the m.way, i'd spare your concern :Blush:

:approve:

Also, search is your friend :Blush: