PDA

View Full Version : Outside Air Temp Sensor

wicklah
03-01-2008, 12:07 PM
Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone knows whether this should just be hanging (not apparently attached to anything) in behind the grill under the license plate?

Had the Timing Belt changed about 3 months ago and have had probs with (climatronic) aircon since. VAG-COM telling me that the Outside Air Temp Sensor is not working.

I can put my hand in the gap of the grill and pull the connection out, it just appears to be doubling back on itself and heading back up into the engine bay?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

kenney
03-01-2008, 01:47 PM
Hi The temp sensor is clipped on to the front bumper,although the contact does not have to be removed from the sensor,the sensor has to be loosened from the bumper,when the bumper is removed to replace the timming belt.

wicklah
03-01-2008, 02:49 PM
Cool thanks.

Don't suppose you know where it routes too? I didn't get a chance to put the car on axle stands yesterday (but will tomorrow if I get a min) to trace it. Traced it as far as I could but it appeared to 'disappear' in behind something.

If I knew where the other end goes I might be able to test voltage etc there.

Thanks

kenney
03-01-2008, 03:10 PM
Hi It goes via a connector in the A pillar to the control unit,but you can not measure voltage.I think you need to concentrate on finding the sensor and seeing if it is connected,it seems strange this happened after the bumper had been removed

wicklah
05-01-2008, 02:21 PM
Here's a couple of pics, raining and horrible over here so can't take the bumper off.

First one:

http://homepage.eircom.net/~mickahwallace/passat/Outside_Air_Temp_Sensor_loose_small.JPG

As you can see, it is hanging loose behind the bumper (I've obviously pulled it out to get the pic).
SHould this be connected to something else. Crasher gave me a pic for the A/C Pressure Switch and from that it appears to be connected to an element? Would that be correct?

Second one:

http://homepage.eircom.net/~mickahwallace/passat/Outside_Air_Temp_Upclose_small.JPG

Is this the actual sensor or is this the connector that connects to the element??

Many thanks guys

kenney
05-01-2008, 02:34 PM
Hi Yes that is the sensor,try using a hair dryer (hot air) and see what happens with the temp reading on control unit,