PDA

View Full Version : wiper motor relay

Simo
03-01-2008, 11:38 AM
Hi,
The wipers stopped working the other week, and have been trying to find the problem. Its not a fuse, and I cannot hear a click of the relay. But, the trouble is that I cannot find out which relay relates to the wipers.
Please help!

kenney
03-01-2008, 02:00 PM
Hi The intermitent wiper relay is in position 3 (197),but if the wipers do not work on full speed then i is either the switch or the wiper motor,which is at fault

Simo
03-01-2008, 02:19 PM
Thanks for that.Have just got one and fitted it, to no avail.:( The wipers don't work at all, regardless of the speed setting at the stalk.
mmmm any ideas chaps?

Crasher
03-01-2008, 02:58 PM
One of what fitted, motor, stalk or relay? It is usually the motor.

Simo
03-01-2008, 03:09 PM
It is a new relay that I fitted.

I think you may be right about the motor since the wipers ceased working on the day after I had washed the car and the air temp went below 0 degrees an hour or so after I finished.

docurley
04-01-2008, 12:10 AM
What year is your car?

Simo
05-01-2008, 02:08 PM
Its a 1999 T reg

docurley
06-01-2008, 10:32 PM
This is your problem and what you will need to do to fix it if not you will need to buy a nwe one.

Fixing WipersDe2006

Writeup for fixing slow wipers, specifically for face lift A4's. Text appears above the reference pics, unless otherwise noted. Standard DIY disclaimer applies.

Tools / Supplies:
8mm socket or nut driver
10mm socket
13mm socket
2" socket extension
Small flathead screw driver
Medium flathead screw driver
#2 Philips head screw driver
Soft wire brush (I used a brass bristled brush)
Grease

Time: @ 1 hour
Difficulty: 2/10

Begin by stalling your wipers in the verticle position. Remove the battery/rear firewall cover. Using a small flathead screwdriver, pop off the wiper arm spline covers.

Using a 13mm socket, remove the retaining nut that holds each wiper arm to the spline.

http://www.audiworld.com/tech/pics/misc44_wipermot2.JPG

Once the nuts are removed, carefully rock the wiper arm using an up and down motion as you pull up on the arm at the mounting point. Do not rotate the arms in a wiping motion or you could strip the splines. When you have both arms off, remove the plastic cowl by undoing the four quarter-turn plastic philips screws. There's also a metal clip at the end on the drivers side (visible as the rusty square below and right from the wiper arm in the above pics).

With the cowl removed, the entire wiper assembly should be visible. The assembly is held in with 3 10mm bolts and an electrical harness. The three bolts are circled in red, and the harness is circled in green. Undo the 3 bolts. Unless you have infant hands, don't try to undo the harness just yet. There's at least 6" of wiring behind it that makes undoing it easier once the whole assembly is out of the cavity (via a later step).

http://www.audiworld.com/tech/pics/misc44_wipermot3.JPG

In order to pull the assembly from the cavity, you'll need to make some room, because the wiper motor that's mounted on the back of the assembly is about the size of a can of Campbell's soup. To make room, remove the engine ECU cover, which is held in place with a few 8mm screws. At this point, You should have something like this. (obligatory beer shot)

http://www.audiworld.com/tech/pics/misc44_wipermot6.JPG

Now you should have room to work the assembly out of there. It might try to catch on the mounting points at the ends, so be persistant, and use different angles. I took mine out by freeing the pass side of the assembly first. Be mindfull of the exposed ECU and components. Don't knock them around. Now with the assembly out of the cavity, it should be easy to reach the electrical harness. Press the release button on the harness and disconnect it.

http://www.audiworld.com/tech/pics/misc44_wipermot7.JPG

Take the assembly over to your workbench for the troubleshooting (don't mind my mess). Here it is, in all of it's glory. The motor is mounted in the middle. As it turns, it pushes/pulls on the linkage arms, which then push or pull on levers that are mounted to the splines. (NOTE: I think I have the direction of rotation of the motor in the middle going the wrong way. It should turn clockwise.)

http://www.audiworld.com/tech/pics/misc44_wipermot8.JPG

At this point, I noticed some crud on my splines, so I took the opportunity to clean them using some WD-40 and a brass bristle wire brush. Remove the rubber caps from the splines and start cleaning. Don't damage the splines while scrubbing them. They're pretty delicate.

http://www.audiworld.com/tech/pics/misc44_wipermot13.JPG

http://www.audiworld.com/tech/pics/misc44_wipermot14.JPG

To troubleshoot where my wipers were binding, I disconnected the linkage arms from the center motor. I used a flathead screwdriver to lever the plastic ends out of the ball joint. Both linkages are mounted to the same balljoint. During dissassembly, the passenger side linkage is removed first, then the driver's side.

http://www.audiworld.com/tech/pics/misc44_wipermot9.JPG

Once the linkages are free from the motor, the splines "should" be free to rotate in their housings. I was able to actuate the passenger side just fine with no effort, however, my driver's side wouldn't budge. It was ceased pretty good. I even pounded on the lever arm with a BFH to try to free up the spline shaft, but that didn't do any good either. That wiper motor has to be pretty powerful to be able to move that thing as slowly as it did.

Now that I've identified where my binding was coming from, I also wanted to test the wiper motor to make sure it wasn't damaged or burned-out from making that ceased spline move. Plug it back into the electrical harness and make sure the assembly is free from obstructions. Turn on the wipers. Mine worked like a champ, so I proceded to clean the ceased driver's side spline shaft.

The spline shaft is held in place by a washer and a circlip at the base of the splines. You can barely make them out in this pic. I used a small flathead screwdriver to remove the circlip. If you choose to take this approach, try not to stab yourself in the hand when it slips.

http://www.audiworld.com/tech/pics/misc44_wipermot14.JPG

When you have the circlip and washer removed from the spline shaft, the only thing that's holding it in is friction. I used PB Blaster and a hammer to pound the spline out the back of the housing. Again, don't damage the splines. Threat the 13mm wiper arm mounting bolt back on, if your aim is that bad. Here you can see my spline shaft halfway out, and you start to see the corrosion that was going on inside. Also, the removed circlip retainer and washer are visible on the work surface.

http://www.audiworld.com/tech/pics/misc44_wipermot15.JPG

All's that's left is to clean the shaft and the inside of the housing, followed by a generous lubing with some grease. Reassemble everything and reinstall it all in reverse order.

*NOTE: when working with any part of your car's electrical system, it would probably be a good idea to disconnect the battery. I did not do this, and got lucky. Fate was with me. Have your radio code handy before you disconnect the battery.

Simo
07-01-2008, 03:06 AM
Thanks for an awesome post. :beerchug:

Just what I needed to get the wipers sorted. Will have to get the part tomorrow and crack on with it.

FrozenAvant
09-03-2008, 09:29 PM
Hello everyone-

I am in the US. I have a 2003 A4 Avant 1.8T.

My wiper system looks just like the one in Docurley's awesome post.

However, my reasoning for repair is my wipers are stuck in the halfway position. I tried to move them, and NOW they're stuck perfectly verticle.

The wipers work on all setting but end up in the wrong place.

This all happened when really wet snow was piled on my windshield and the wipers were on before I could remove the snow.:zx11:

So- is there any way to RESET what the splines are thinking? I tried to just put the wipers in the correct position but they just jam at the bottom of the windshield.

ANY help is appreciated.

JOHN in Park City Utah

RockyRM6
22-03-2008, 07:04 PM
Hey John

RockyRM6
22-03-2008, 07:08 PM
Hey John,
I have an 06 A4 2.0T Avant with the exact same problem caused by the snow, I,ve tried everything to fix it but no luck yet. Keep me in the loop if you find a fix & I'll do the same for you. I am tring the fuse right now in hopes that after an hour it'll reset.

Scott in Toronto.

kenney
22-03-2008, 07:36 PM
HI Can you hear the motor running when the wipers are switched on??? if so, if you look at the pic nr 8 of docurleys first class post,the nut just by his thumb you need to loosen it and the loosen the cranck on the splines of the motor.Turn the wipers on and then off, the motor will return to its resting position. You then can position the wipers on the windscreen,and lastly retighten the nut on the cranck arm.

FrozenAvant
27-03-2008, 09:33 PM
HI Can you hear the motor running when the wipers are switched on??? if so, if you look at the pic nr 8 of docurleys first class post,the nut just by his thumb you need to loosen it and the loosen the cranck on the splines of the motor.Turn the wipers on and then off, the motor will return to its resting position. You then can position the wipers on the windscreen,and lastly retighten the nut on the cranck arm.

Thanks so much. I will begin working on this AGAIN today.

I've since got back from the dealer and had them diagnose since it was only going to b $50. Their soluton: replace the center linkage for $150 since it was stripped. Ihate the dealer.
I am excited to try your solution. ps: what did you mean by the cranks on the splines of the motor?
1. loosen the nut by docs thumb
2. then the crank on the splines?
3 does this mean removal of the entire assembly isn't necessary?

THANKS SO MUCH

kenney
27-03-2008, 10:26 PM
Hi You dont have to remove the assembly although it is abit awkward getting at the nut.The crank is the part under the nut and there are splines on the shaft which it is attached to

FrozenAvant
28-03-2008, 05:19 AM
Hi You dont have to remove the assembly although it is abit awkward getting at the nut.The crank is the part under the nut and there are splines on the shaft which it is attached to

ATTENTION AUdi Forum-

I CANNOT SAY THANK YOU ENOUGH!

Thanks to Docurley and thanks to Kenney.

I took my Audi to the dealer after they said they could "reset" my wipers for $90. "it happens often in Utah" he said.

Well, after driving there and waiting a half day- they told me they couldn't reset them and that I needed new linkage aka $185 plus labor because mine was stripped; I said no the parts and repairs.

I listened to the above supermen and took it all apart and already long story short: MY wipers are back in the right position and are working like a charm.

I cannot say it enough. You made my week!!!

If anyone needs any info on the repair I would love to share the knowledge I've been given.

Thank you thank you!
:biglaugh:
John K in Park City, UTAH.

CSX4855
04-05-2009, 06:28 PM
Given this picture, what holds the silver ball below in the black plastic socket of the arm above it??? This joint keeps falling apart on my 99 A4.

http://www.audiworld.com/tech/pics/misc44_wipermot15.JPG

Thanks for any help,
John

Crasher
04-05-2009, 08:23 PM
Pressing it on expands the plastic ring and then sits in the channel.

CSX4855
05-05-2009, 11:41 AM
Thanks, so is this plastic ring a replaceable part? The thing just keeps popping apart after about 2 swipes.

Crasher
05-05-2009, 11:50 AM
You have to replace thee arm which can be expensive depending on what the car is, the year and left or right hand drive. I presume you are American?

CSX4855
05-05-2009, 12:41 PM
yeah, American, live in Pennsylvania, so we are talking about the whole assembly, I guess...probably close to $200.00 U.S. dollars.

Oh, it is a 1999 A4 Quattro. I may try to rig some other solution. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.