PDA

View Full Version : Boot does not lock with central locking

nindyz
03-01-2008, 10:41 AM
Hi All,

I'm a newbie to this site, i own a Mark4 Golf 1999 which has given me nothin but trouble since i bought it in 2001, i've had both windows fall through, stalling, glovebox handle broken, you name it, ive had it.

My latest prob which has been ongoing is that the boot does not lock with the central locking & i have to manually lock it with the car keys.

I have had trouble with the rear screen washer jet, which does not work:zx11:, could this be leaking at the lock & is this what is stopping my boot locking?????

Also when i try to wipe the rear screen it only has one mode, it will just keep wiping non stop..........HEEELLLPPP!!!!!:aargh4::aargh4::aarg h4::1zhelp:

dreamworx
03-01-2008, 11:00 AM
Hi All,

I'm a newbie to this site, i own a Mark4 Golf 1999 which has given me nothin but trouble since i bought it in 2001, i've had both windows fall through, stalling, glovebox handle broken, you name it, ive had it.

My latest prob which has been ongoing is that the boot does not lock with the central locking & i have to manually lock it with the car keys.

I have had trouble with the rear screen washer jet, which does not work:zx11:, could this be leaking at the lock & is this what is stopping my boot locking?????

Also when i try to wipe the rear screen it only has one mode, it will just keep wiping non stop..........HEEELLLPPP!!!!!:aargh4::aargh4::aarg h4::1zhelp:

Sounds a bit like my car!!

pull the big plastic bit off the back of the boot, then you can see all the workings etc!! inside is a door pump, this could be broken! check cabling if you have had lots of water getting in!. GIve the plastic bit a good tug to rip it off!

what engine do you have?

nindyz
03-01-2008, 11:46 AM
Hi Dreamworx

Thanks 4 the info, my golfs the dreaded 1.4 16V slow as u like engine (3dr), i bought it 4 the economy an thats that, problem is that i stuck 18's on as alloys, now everyone thinks ive got a bigger engine n keep tryin to race me!!! It's also now done 150K on the clock 2.

My other motor is a 2003 VW passat 1.8T sport which is good to drive but drinks like a fish, & has given me just as much grief (recently i had the dreaded " STOP MOTOR, OIL PRESSURE" warning on the display).

Do u reckon ill need a new mechanism for the lock & the wiper 4 my Golf????:aargh4:

Nindyz

dreamworx
03-01-2008, 12:03 PM
Hi Dreamworx

Thanks 4 the info, my golfs the dreaded 1.4 16V slow as u like engine (3dr), i bought it 4 the economy an thats that, problem is that i stuck 18's on as alloys, now everyone thinks ive got a bigger engine n keep tryin to race me!!! It's also now done 150K on the clock 2.

My other motor is a 2003 VW passat 1.8T sport which is good to drive but drinks like a fish, & has given me just as much grief (recently i had the dreaded " STOP MOTOR, OIL PRESSURE" warning on the display).

Do u reckon ill need a new mechanism for the lock & the wiper 4 my Golf????:aargh4:

Nindyz

My wiper is also dead! so i dont use it now!!

The mechanism on the lock is easy to fix if its not the pump, just look at the little plastic arms on the catch (black) it might just need adjusting.

as for the wiper, i think your better off replacing this, i think there is a microswitch in the wiper, buti m not 100% sure sorry.

mdcooper
04-01-2008, 01:38 PM
I had the same problem with my wiper a while ago, mine is a 1999 v reg gt tdi, and it just wouldnt work, so i took the car back to where i bought it from, and he pulled the plastic bit off, and the mechanism was corroded, so he replaced the mechanism and the wiper blade, and it is not brilliant.

But then i had a problem with the boot lock not working on the central locking, it wouldnt lock or unlock on the central locking, so i took it to a garage, and they said i needed a new boot lock, which would be 80 pounds, so i decided not to so it, so i took it back where i bought it for him to have a look and he did something with it, not sure what, and it now works, unbelievably.

But it still does funny things, like if im changing the cd's in the changer in the boot, ill unlock the car, and while im changing the cd's the car will lock itself, then when i close the boot, the alarm goes off!!!!, which is really annoying, so its like the boot is detached from the rest of the central locking, and it doesnt know when its open or closed.

Any Ideas?

Matthew

chillerz
14-09-2008, 02:31 PM
Hi,

Just bought a mk4 golf gti and having a bit of trouble with the boot as well. Is the boot supposed to open and close with the key and the remote central locking system? The key I have will not fit the boot and I cant seem to lock the boot with the locking system either so I am stuck. What can I do to lock the boot?

FLENG2008
15-09-2008, 09:21 AM
Hi,

Just bought a mk4 golf gti and having a bit of trouble with the boot as well. Is the boot supposed to open and close with the key and the remote central locking system? The key I have will not fit the boot and I cant seem to lock the boot with the locking system either so I am stuck. What can I do to lock the boot?

i had the same problem

i found out it was the rear wash wipe leaking in to the tail gate and corroding the lock,wiper motor and other related parts in the tailgate

like everyone else says just take off the trim and clean and grease the lock mechanism's